What can I do to help my husband who has he decided he doesn't need insulin anymore?

My husband has become verbally abusive since he decided he doesn't need insulin anymore. What can I do to help him? I know that I can't force feed his insulin but I need some suggestions as to what to do to help him and to relieve the added stress on myself. Can you please help?

19

Answers

Caspersunsets, I am sorry for your loss, especially because it did not have to happen so soon. And, this may sound mean and I don't mean it to be, but I am glad you have outlived him and have a chance to live a better life, and hope you truly find happiness, peace and even joy, even in widowhood.

I may start a new thread about this but my husband is heading down the same path...I am a little beside myself, because his OSA which is clearly getting worse was actually recommended for treatment nearly A YEAR AND A HALF AGO and he had not told me, he did not keep a sleep clinic appointment he was given, and now the wait is going to be months and I will have to be on his case to even get him to go. Even AFTER the appointment today where the doc told him he could just "wake up dead" or lose his health to pulmonary hypertension, he started in telling me it was "just his sinuses" again. HE fully expects to outlive ME, though he is 9 years older, and that's not as crazy as it sounds because he most definitely has better genes for longevity and no diabetes, but his weighing over 300 lbs most of his recent adult life is going to wreck that for both of us if things do not change.

Men can be so D@M% stubborn, (OK gals can be too), even if it kills them, and even if it hurts our hearts every day...

I was sorry to hear of your loss. I just saw this thread and was getting ready to post a response when I saw your update. I'm a Type I diabetic. It's a very difficult struggle, as you know. Condolences to you and your family.

Oh I'm so sorry Casper.. Hugs ..

Thanks for your being there. It's nice to know that even when you have never met face to face, I have found a lot of compassion this way. Please keep in touch.

So sorry to hear that. Warm Regards to you and your family.

I'm sorry, but he passed away on March 25. His body just shut down after fighting the flu and then double pneumonia. Thanks for asking, though.

Hi Casper
How is your husband and how are you? I hope things are better than back in February.
Give us an update.

I agree with the lack of support we don't get as veterans. Our primary care physician already knows about the situation. I am just looking for more feedback .

The other thing to remember, casper, is that uncontrolled diabetes can cause metabolic dementia. Do a search on this. It's vicious, and it can easily occur in severe cases of diabetes (I have a friend who is sliding down this road, and NO ONE can stop this). You need to discuss this with his doctor because as a vulnerable adult you don't want "the system" deciding that you weren't providing proper care and taking over from you. Living in TX, I can tell you that the VA definitely needs help and our veterans don't get nearly the support they need.

The VA here in Georgia needs a lot of help. Even though we are both veterans, the hoops we would have to go through for medical care is ridiculous. I truly don't think he would agree to any depression intervention at all. He says it is all my imagination.