Husband wet the bed. Any advice?

My husband has dementia and Parkinson disease and he wets the bed. He wears pull up briefs i.e. depends and I also, have a pad and chux to use at nighttime. My problem is he wanders doing the night and he takes his briefs off during the night and he gets off of the pad and chux during the night. My question: Is there a mattress pad or something heavy enough that will cover the whole bed, that will absorb urine and keep the bed dry at night time?

30

Answers

1 2 3
Strangely enough, yes. While this discussion has to do with Alzheimers. I use a mattress cover that encloses the mattress by a zipper. Because I sweat from getting hot very easily. Granted I only have a 'single' mattress. I would think there would be one. For a 'twin', 'queen', or 'king' size mattress.

My surrogate dad who eventually developed dementia didn't do anything unusual with his hands. In fact, he always stayed busy at his desk doing actual tasks such as letter writing and other legitimate matters. I really never knew anything was wrong until it became obvious he was developing dementia and he started acting weird, in fact he was starting to not be the same person I always knew. Besides the increasing forgetfulness, it's very hard for me to try to explain that I started realizing dad had a problem.

In the case of my elderly friend, he had no constant hand movement. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary with him until he started frequent flying the squad to the ER more than a normal person would. This became a problem for everyone around him including our medics. He also had some other behavioral issues, but I would've never guessed he had early dementia onset.

jo18535, my dad is 95 and suffers from dementia. I noticed that he would click his fingernail constantly. He hadn't been diagnosed yet and was living alone. I would take him for a ride daily and he about drove me nuts with the clicking. Fast forward to now....his hands are constantly fiddling with his belt buckle or he takes them in and out of his pocket. He's now in AL memory care. Yes, moving of the hands seems to be expected I guess.

My husband, dementia, is always 'busy' with his hands. Is this normal, and if so, do you give them something to be busy with?

Rainmom: You're welcome.

Dealing with a bed wetter for 22 years I thought I'd seen every kind of mattress protector ever invented - so far find the terry/Gore Tex ones do the best job and are the most comfortable. But I admitt I've never thought to check out what the med supply store sells. Next time I'm there picking up something for mom I'll be sure to check them out - thanks for the tip, llamalover.

Rainmom: They just are of better quality. I had beem to one several times with my late Mother.

Llamalover - I'm always on the lookout for products that will help lessen extra work. How is a waterproof mattress protector geared towards a geriatric clientele different from other good quality waterproof mattress protectors?

My husband has dementia caused by his stroke. He mostly stays dry at night, but I have two waterproof mattress covers I bought at walmart. Both are quiet, and washable. The one is more expensive - I think I paid around $25, and has a quilted top. ( full size) The other one cost about $18 I think, and you can feel it does not have the same quality-- but both work well, and wash good. I did learn to dry the waterproof mattress cover by itself - or maybe just a couple items with it. In summer I plan to hang them out on the line.

The other hint I have is for keeping an eye on the patient. My husband used to get up and walk around at night. I bought a baby monitor so I could see what he was doing. I slept in the next room. However, I constantly heard what sounded like his walker, and I'd get up to check on him. Usually it was just furnace, or maybe he moved around in bed. So I bought a security monitor--by Bubba -- very reasonable, and now I know if he is actually out of bed. When the chime does go off, I can look at the monitor to see if he is up or just moving around in the bed. Sure saves me a lot of sleepless nights. His meds have been adjusted so he does not get up as much as he used to.

I have a husband with frontal temportal dementa (FTD)and I got a vinyl mattress protector over putting the whole mattress in a mattress protector. Then the sheets and then a mattress protector from Miles Kimball that goes where he lays to catch the urine and folds under the mattress to help stay (washes well), then have 2 smaller pads that go over that, from Miles Kimball and along with the diaper, have used vinyl under pants and his briefs to make him feel more comfortable with his underwear. IT is a lot but believe me he still wets down to the pads above the sheet. I get him up every 4-6 hrs to use the toilet but that does not always work. Limit fluids after evening meal. SO far he does not wander at night. Ask the Dr about a mild medicine to help sleep like Benadryl, etc. Maybe that help too? It has taken trial and error to find something that works better. Miles Kimball ships faster and I have gotten extra pads when some wet replace with clean. Check on sundowners as that is what happens a lot when the sun goes down..... Hang in there. God bless. Its really hard.

1 2 3