My husband (84) only wants to eat chocolate mint candy. What do you do when they are so stubborn?

18

Answers

I've learned that some things you cannot change, and it will drive you crazy trying.

Honey has been a God send for us. Things that Mom once loved and now pushes away saying she doesn't want it, she will eat all of when I mix in some honey...

Peanut butter and honey mixed and spread between 2 graham crackers is one of our daily snacks. Mom loves it because it's sweet and I figure she is getting fiber from the graham cracker and protein from the peanut butter.

I also . . . mix flavored yogurt with her bran flakes to sweeten the cereal
use ketchup with brown sugar on sandwiches and in caseroles
replace morning orange juice with a vegetable based fruit juice

It's a daily challenge that can be quite frustrating when you spend the time to make a nice meal and end up throwing it away un-eaten. At those times I break out the peanut butter and say que sera, sera :)

Ideas : sweetened cream cheese and mint on choc covered graham crackers
chocolate protein drink with mint flavoring

For quick and convenient, some rich ice creams come readymade as 'chocolate mint chip'. Perhaps including eggs already. Ben and Jerry's? Haagen Das?

Have you tried a chocolate-mint milk shake? Maybe a scoop of chocolate ice cream, an envelope of Carnation Breakfast essentials (vanilla or chocolate) OR a bottle of Boost or Ensure, enough milk to make it drinkable. Blend well. Add choc/mint candy and blend again. Not an ideal meal but at least he is getting more calories and some nutrition.

I wonder if cottage cheese with the candies mixed in would appeal to him?

Sometimes chocolate mint stuff is all I will eat either! Mint is good for the digestion. Mint candy with sweet insides and chocolate covering is a traditional after dinner digestive aid.

Maybe he has got some digestive malfunction which is relieved by the chocolate mint. When I don't feel like eating anything else, dark chocolate with some sweet is what gives me enough energy to get through the day.

As long as it is DARK chocolate, it is beneficial. NO, not really. He has a chemical imbalance, plus his taste buds are deadened to the five other taste senses. Call in the doctor and he/she can prescribe an appetite encouraging medication, and you keep encouraging fruits, veggies, protein and other foods. This sounds like Pica, which is a disorder when people eat non-food items I.e. clay, dirt, ice chips, chalk. Have him evaluated ASAP. Chocolate is a stimulant, can create diarrhea, dehydration, and his electrolytes will be thrown off even more. Do not think he is just being "stubborn". He is in medical crisis.

I agree with Emartin, let him do what he wants, hes 84. People with dementia lose their sense of smell and taste. My Mom used to not even go to bed without sweet candy under her pillow. One Stroke later and she has no idea what candy is, so dont worry, be happy. I so wish my Mom could eat candy but now with her swallowing issues she chokes on sweets too much.One cna told me they used to put maple syrup all over one patients meals or he wouldnt eat it. Good luck making his foods sweeter!!

My feeling is that their life has so little joy - why take away the one thing that gives them pleasure. The diabetes issue makes it difficult, but if there is no health problem with sugar, a reasonable amount of sweets should do no harm. Might give them something to brighten the day.

These comments are interesting because my husband with dementia (entering the later stage) drinks a regular size cup of coffee with 5 or 6 sweetener packs and says it still is not sweet enough. In the evening he gorges on ice cream and brownies. He does eat actually overeats well balanced meals also. He is not gaining weight!

BarbKirby, since your husband has dementia, I'm inclined to agree with your brother.

My husband is also 84 and has diabetes2. Every time he goes out, he buys pies, cookies, crackers, cake, etc. Since he is very forgetful, I get rid of some the food or pretend I've eaten part of it. He keeps agreeing to watch his diet but never does. My older brother thinks I should just leave him alone and let him eat what he enjoys.