My husband is obsessed with garden and plants. Why is he so obsessed about it?

My husband is terribly obsessed with our gardens - holiday home and permanent address. When at our holiday home he takes pictures of the garden, I did not not think it was because hee was checking up on me, but it was. I have taken out 2 plants which was one dead one ugly and put in 2 new ones and he raved about it so much we had a terrible argument about a dam garden en stupid plants...why is he so obsessed about it...

20

Answers

jinglebts, what browser are you using? If you're using Firefox, where do you find the icons?

I do love maples, especially the Japanese maples. They're so delicate, so typically Japanese in that they're complimentary to that style of gardening, particularly the Zen gardens.

Were you able to save any seeds from that tree? My sister had a beautiful burgundy maple (I've never figured out the name of the specific variety). The leaves were leathery, unlike typical maple leaves. It produced a bounty of seedlings, which I painstakingly gathered to plant and start a bonsai maple garden....someday.

LINSAN, you probably don't want to hear this, but your father may have some innate gardening design traits that aren't recognized by those who aren't gardeners. That's not meant to be an insult.

Some of the most creative gardeners will push design boundaries and re-interpret them to their own standards. Planting in the middle of a lawn or other than the typical borders is one way of making gardening statements, and especially of changing the focal points and redirecting the eye away from what many consider boring lawns to more enticing and lovely trees and ornamentals.

Some of the magnificent formal gardens of France and England are beautiful beyond description, yet they're not the standard gardens of rows of vegetable plants. Check out Villandry and see how their garden staff blend vegetables into formal beds.

As to a "fine block of beautiful grass," your father may be in the same category as other gardeners, including me, who see grass as a water hog, something that doesn't produce anything except grass clippings, is high maintenance, and in years to come may go the way of the dodo bird as water becomes more scarce and not available for essentials like food.

GA: Those icons appeared as little squares for me. I wonder why ... must be my browser.

Great insights into gardening! When I had the energy and could bend down to plant (or, more realistically, get to my feet again), I loved gardening. I miss it. I had a wonderful Japanese maple (with the feathery red leaves, not the broader ones), that looked something like an upside-down umbrella. Since we live in zone 5, I wasn't sure that it would survive, but our huge hedge made a micro-climate of the whole backyard -- truly beautiful. I've moved now, and how I miss that tree!

Sorry, love your comment and love the flowers! I didn't think we could add little icons like that.

Garden artist- that was a kinder response that I might have given. Kudos to you! 🌺🌸🌻💐🌷🌹🍄

We have close contact and guidance from my Father's Dementia care physician and Memory Center. All you can really do in these cases is humor them unless they are harming someone or themselves!

Regarding Dementia and obsessions, my Mom and I have the same experience with my Father. We live together and my Father has a very strange and annoying obsession with planting bushes and trees in random spots around the front and back yards. There is no rhyme or reason as to the placing of these things and they are in the middle of the lawns! It makes it difficult for mowing and ruins a perfectly fine block of beautiful smooth grass!!! There is no understanding of it! His explanations make no sense.... but we try to be patient and let it go. All I can say is that the moment he is gone (unfortunately) ALL of those bushes and trees will be REMOVED! UGGGGGG

Spot on Garden Artist, he has perfected the astuteness in his life everwhere he is going....English is not my language and I had to go and check the word....yes you can learn from him as he is a manipulator en uses situations to his advantage, that is one stage that is not yet gone and I so wish it will go!!! thank you I have said enough ..END OF DISCUSSION FOR ME!!

Maggie, thanks for the support. I couldn't help thinking how astute this man really is. I can learn from him.

Maggie.....thank u. much appreciated....yes I am burnt out....this is not easy and yes I have decided to go with the flow and let him be...some day hopefully, sombody will clean up the mess left behand us....thank u again you inspired me. ps....I know about roundup...potent stuff!!

@GardenArtist -- I wonder how many of us recognize how profound your comment is..."I think he's demonstrating tremendous creativity dealing with his dementia." Yes!!