My husband (82) has Alzheimer's and peripheral neuropathy. Not qualified for Medicaid. Any advice?

VA only. No Medicare or private ins. We have caregiver help, but he is declining and will need to go into a home when I can no longer manage. How do we do that without Medicaid (income too high), and no private insurance (fixed income too low). Having never been ill, he saw no need for Medicare when he retired and declined private insurance (too costly). To take Medicare now, he must make up all the missed payments: 204 months x$109 = $22, 236, which works out to about $1800/mo now for Medicare. Obviously, that is not an option. His life insurance is just enough for cremation, nothing to convert to long-term care. We are on a tight fixed income - even smaller now, because I spend most of my time caring for him. Where do we get financial help to help him get the care he needs when I can no longer provide it? We are in that mid-level, financial sink hole: too much income, but not enough. Advice please.

17

Answers

Check with his former employer, assuming he had one, to get the letter for the 10% waiver.

I'm glad I read this. I has no idea about penalties etc.

When u put a family member in a longterm facility do not expect them to be with your family member all day long. CNAs and Nurses have anywhere from 30 to 40 patients in an eight hour period. Thats where family comes in. Visit often and at different times.

In this instant, this husband put his wife between a rock and a hard place. Her only option maybe a VA home.

Please visit the VA War Veterans Homes they suggest before you place your loved one a bunch of times. Notice & I mean notice all the gentlemen that have identical things wrong, how many have to be feed, how many are in the bed, how many are in wheel chairs with leg & foot wounds bandaged. It's amazing how much I didn't notice until it was too late. I moved my Dad (WWII veteran) there as this is what he decided if it came to that but........they do not do 1on1 in memory care which is where my Dad was. They do not encourage them to drink therefore they become dehydrated. The veterans are so precious to us but do not receive care that they deserve. I just lost him April 29th, 2015. But the doctor said to me, let us do what we do best we will take care of your Dad. He walked in on his own power & left 2 months later on a stretcher to the funeral home. Think twice before you decide. Most of the wives I saw that I wondered why they were there??Because it is not 1on1 & most these veterans don't know how to take care of themselves, their loved ones are exhaused & can't find the help they need for their people. Also, the staff can't by law put up all the bed rails because of the privacy law. You are infriging on their rights. My Mom had to have surgery & she had taken care of my Dad & nobody knew exactly what she had to do or go thru to keep my Dad at home. I felt I couldn't do both parents at the same time. I was very green & not as wise as I should have been. I had my Dad in a private NH Memory Care facility & hoped it would be temporary. Dementia/Alzheimers patients are so vunerable. Everything gets mixed up in their minds. They can't tell you when they are in pain because they can't any longer express it to us in words we understand nor can they say it fast enough for this modern day medicine. They forget how to do a lot of things unless prompted to do them. Now, my Mom had surgery & was recovering until she wanted to be back in control of her own life & fell & broke her leg. A month later in rehab she wanted to be in control & again forgot or thought she could do it on her own...well broke the same leg just lower & had another surgery so she is in PT again & now all theses surgeries & anesthesia has her looking like she has dementia. She now has sitters around the clock everyday on top of the nurses at the NH/rehab & CNA's because I don't trust anyone anymore. Just saying be very careful. My whole life has changed, relationship is on the rocks, doing things I never expected I would be doing. Take care & be very careful.

He may not have to pay 10% more if he can get a letter from his employer stating he had company insurance.

Vs aid and assistance u must have served during a war or conflict. At 82 it wasn't WWII, maybe Korea or Nam? I guess he figured he was safe with just VA medical? There r VA nursing homes. I hope u got Medicare and a supplement since u aren't entitled to VA hospital services. No Medicaid because no Medicare?

Have you contacted the Veterans Service Office in your area? As a veteran, he would qualify for services at a veterans home. My father-in-law spent the last few months of his life at a VA nursing home and the payment was based on income and assets. If I remember correctly, his payment was about 10% of what a private nursing home would have been.

Note that the Alz association brings in a qualified elder law attorney, which they have vetted, to run the seminar, so this is a great start.

Instead of spending the money to consult with an elder law attorney, attend one of the free financial seminars given by the Alzheimer's association (alz.org). Ask all your questions there. If you still need the consult, often the attorney running the seminar will offer participants a discount...and that's how it's done!

Gypsy - when you meet with the attorney ask about if Miller trust can be done & about maximizing your CSRA /MMNA - these 2 are ways to divert his Medicaid income compliance to the NH instead be diverted to you. CSRA MMNA are kinda like alimony for the nonNH spouse.

Medicare, your right, is out of the ? budget wise to be an option. Hopefully others read your post and understand how important it can be to sign up for Medicare at 65. Penalty is astounding. I wonder how often this happens?

Let us know what legal suggests. We all learn from each other. Thanks!