Too much money in bank accounts, have to spend it down. If I do that I won’t have money to keep the house going too. I need to get in touch with a lawyer, if so what kind? My husband is only 55.

You need to see an elder care lawyer. Yes you have to spend down but to a certain point as you are the spouse. Each state is different in the requirements. If his retirement income is too high to qualify for Medicaid then a Miller Trust may be available. It is a proper time for you to get you documents together if you become incapacitated. It is also appropriate as part of the spend down to set up an irrevocable burial account.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to find elder care attorneys then follow the links by state
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to MACinCT

What a very sad situation! Is there realistic hope that your husband will come out of the coma?

Medicaid isn't too complicated for a single person to apply for, especially if the financial picture is not complicated. But for a person with a community spouse (you) it almost always calls for some professional help.

My first suggestion is to contact your Area Agency on Aging, explain your situation, and ask if they can refer you to someone who can help. Because of your husband's age this resource might not occur to you, but since he is in need of Medicaid it will be an appropriate place to contact. And/or try your agency that coordinates resources for people with disabilities.

You may ultimately want/need to consult an attorney who specializes in Elder Law. The specialty is critical. This is not something your cousin the family law attorney or your neighbor the corporate tax lawyer should handle (but they may be able to help you select an appropriate lawyer.)

Can you feel the cyber hugs I am sending? ((())) This is such a very sad situation in itself. I am sorry that you have to deal with financial challenges as well.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to jeannegibbs

Frankie, I am so sorry to hear this. More knowledgeable people will hopefully post about Medicaid and how a spouse can keep from being impoverished while their loved one is on Medicaid.

What state are you in?
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to SnoopyLove