My husband has Alzheimer's and has started sleeping all the time. Is this normal?

He is 88 and goes to bed around 9:30pm and gets up around 9:30 with my prodding, sometimes later. I give him breakfast or lunch, depending on when he gets up. Then after he eats, he lies down on the sofa and sleep on and off thru out the afternoon. I get him off the sofa around 5 and we have dinner at 7.
He doesn't have any desire to do anything. Is this lack of motivation causing him to sleep?

19

Answers

I am one of two live-in Caregivers for an 85 yr old woman who has Alzheimer's. I've taken care of her for 1 1/2 yrs now, but in the last few months, there has been a big change in her sleep pattern. She will sleep 12 hours - sometimes even 14 hours - quite easily!! This change concerned us, so we took her to her doctor and he said "There is no harm in letting her sleep."

Now, her pattern has changed to her wanting to take not one but two naps in the afternoon. So we're just rolling with her changes as they come and making sure that she's comfortable until God calls her home. So please know, Isabella, that an increase in sleeping can happen.

Check with his doc.

He is in stage 5 of Alzheimer's . He takes 50mg tablet of Sertraline for depression.

What stage of Alzheimer's is he in?

I wish this would happen to my FIL. He is up day, night and miserable. Tried every type, class and dosage of meds. NOTHING works longer than a week or so. Most meds make him worse, hallucinate or fall. He's always too "tired" to do anything except "pack for my trip" every evening after supper. Never had hobbies, cant understand tv/movie plots or newspapers anymore. Every single "memory" he has involves a job he used to have, accompanied by deadlines and brutal treatment from his manager. It's torture to watch and deal with on a DAILY basis. I can't imagine it's all he has left of a 64 year marriage to the best wife and mother ever. Please don't let me end up like this, is my nightly prayer. If the rest of your loved one's day is fulfilling, and he is at peace, enjoy him. You are doing the best you can. Good day to everyone else struggling with their own minute to minute CG duties.

I would discuss the increase in sleeping with his doctor. Sometimes, it's the dementia progressing. The dementia patient sometimes slows down more and more. I would just confirm that with his age and the disease that is what is happening. If he is comfortable and content, then I would just let him relax and sleep when he wants. I know some people promote activities and exercise, but with advanced dementia, I think that keeping the patient comfortable is a good thing. If they are not interested, there' not much you can do.

When people get old, they need more sleep. Both my grandmothers and now my mother slept most of the time. They were not demented

My 84 yr alz spouse also sleeps 14 to 16 hrs waking up to pee & eat. DR SAID OK TO SLEEP. I have a hard time getting him up to go to appt. Or day care but once in car awake. I have had a caregiver come & he slept most the time. He doesn't read or watch TV but I always provide 100 pc puzzles which he loves.

Isabell, u could be discribing my Mom. She was an advid reader, now it takes her ages to read one book. Think she keeps reading the same thing over and over. She felt she needed new glasses but Dr. says its the Dementia. She also is having a problem with separating TV from reality. She was all upset last week when she thought an explosion on the TV show Emergency was real and our house had blown up. Second time for this show so she won't be watching it amymore. No news either.

My mother, age 83, has dementia and sleeps in her chair most of the day and is awake at night. Her doctor told me that is something I cannot change. Yesterday, she slept ALL day, did not wake to eat or take medications. I let her sleep rather than wake her. She is confused sometimes upon waking. She doesn't care about getting dressed (sometimes will stay in her PJ's all day) or her personal appearance. I don't think I can get her to change, but how do I instruct her without sounding bossy. I work full time and my husband & I are her primary caregivers.