How can my husband gain weight until he gets his dentures?

My husband is diabetic and had all teeth removed for dentures. He will get his dentures in about 8 weeks.

18

Answers

Anyone have to deal with gum scaling? And a front tooth implant ? I feel like I must have felt as a toddler getting first teeth. Using ambisol to numb the pain

Milk shakes ,ensure supplement. pasta, oatmeal,cheseecake.

Absolutely agree,blend all the regular diet and add some protein powder.
Many people manage a soft diet for years without any teeth!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, a blenderized diet. Anything, such as spinach, can be put into a blender.

Just our experience, With my husband, when he had his teeth pulled and was waiting the many weeks for his full dentures, we ate a lot of Mashed Potatoes with various things added..... Garlic, cheese, corn. whatever sounded good to him. He also found that about a week in, he could eat Hamburger, I fixed a fair amount of casseroles that didn't take a lot of chewing. No diabetes involved, so I don't really know how else to help you! God Bless You Both. It is a journey after they get their teeth also, because their sense of taste is so limited!!

Thanks everyone for your answers.. all these ideas are great... he is the worst patient everrrr and also so picky.. alot of his problem is texture.. he's never been a smoothie or milkshake drinker soooo.. it is going to be a challange.. he's healing very well and hopefully will get to have permanant impressions made in a few weeks and hopefully teeth withing the next 6 weeks.

Plus I think with the nutritional items: Ensure, glucerna, others: don't have to give full bottle at once. Can moderate over time: a few sips here and there, wait an hour or two, a few more sips, from same bottle. Regular ensure has about 15g sugars in 1 bottle, so half a bottle 7.5g sugar, 1/4 bottle... 4g sugar. Could always administer 2oz of Ensure ... 4g sugar, for example, but doctor would know and a lot of good feedback above also. One would think a bit over 2-3 hour period would be okay, but doctor/nurse/medical asst. a good source also.

He should be consuming smoothies via a blended duet.

Boost and ensure are good starters. Another thing you can do is get a soup express and make homemade soup for his every meal. A soup express is actually a dual purpose machine that not only cooks your soup but you can also periodically blend it as it's cooking, it has a blender blade in the bottom of the jar so you can blend as you're cooking. A friend of mine whose husband had jaw surgery at one time had to live on liquids and liquefied foods for about 12 weeks because his jaw was wired shut after jaw surgery. He had to actually end up eating through a syringe to stay alive. His wife does all the cooking and she actually got that soup express. When I saw them out at Walmart, I noticed the price and was reluctant to get one being on fixed income. I just couldn't comfortably afford it at that time, but I would've liked to have had one and have seen a much lower price. This would have been a very good thing for me because I don't spend much time in the kitchen, meaning I also don't entertain much. As a single person on fixed income, I do good to get through each month let alone entertaining unless people contribute

Personally, I would ask your primary physician. His insulin can be adjusted as long as they know what he is consuming.

A lot of what I read as suggestions above has hidden sugars. I used Orgain Nutritional Shakes on my DH but he is not diabetic and they are expensive.

A mini-chopper like Black & Decker will grind up all the foods he was already eating and he can continue on the diet you already were using. This is what my SIL did when her DH had all his teeth pulled for the same reason. There are many 'choppers' on the market - I use a B&D Ergo found at Amazon or Walmart for about $20.

I remember James saying that most of the foods tasted the same as unchopped - I think he said the steak surprised him. I would use hamburger myself.