Husband with frontal lobe dementia will not shower.

My husband, originally diagnosed with ALZ, frontal lobe dementia, WILL not take a shower!. He is convinced that he has, every day. I do find a wet washcloth once in a while, but I think he just runs wet water over himself at the sink. No sign of soap or shampoo being used, and definitely no wet towel. As a result, I find white flakes all over the bed, the couch and anywhere he sits. I have tried everything I can think of. He does not want me touching him, but I have tried to get him to take one with me. I have tried posting a schedule. I have tried rewards. My children have tried, as has his caregiver. I get concerned about skin diseases and infections. Mind you, physically, he is capable of taking a shower independently...that is not the issue. He is convinced that he IS taking one...and will argue that fact.

25

Answers

1 2 3
The wipes are good "for a season," e.g. for a day or two. Then the person really needs to get bathed! They start to smell and it's difficult to provide care for them.

Try the Huggies. CVS and other stores now have adult wipes just for this purpose.
Many patients cannot take a shower...for all sorts of reasons.
Thinking of you and your challenge.
Malachy

Zombie: LOL...Don't pass out!

I hold my breath.

citty1: Okay, then if "folks with dementia are often afraid of showers." how do you get near them unless you put Vicks under your nose?

Folks with dementia are often afraid of showers. They didn't grow up with them and they are going back to their childhood. A tub bath, a bath at the sink, just washing the "important parts" are all acceptable. The skin is an important organ and if kept moisturized has a pretty good ability to care for itself. Any soiling easily seen needs to be cleaned as does the peri area. It is a law in many states that caregivers associated with a facility cannot force someone to bathe.

Try a male home health aide coming in. Remember, skin is the largest organ in the body and as such, has to be kept clean for health reasons.

My mother is scared to death of the bathroom, so I just sponge bathe her while she is standing i do her "privates" then sit her on toilet on a soft towel do the rest and cover her up so she won't get cold, use plain dove soap, then moisturize, you can only do your best, but she does feel better, best of luck to you😃

It's not just his dementia causes him not taking a shower. It's the lack of energy and fear of falling. My dad is the same way. It's mainly the lack of energy. If your dad doesn't want any assistance, it's hard for him to let go of his independency. Taking a shower once a week is all he needs. Perhaps, you should tell the geriatric Doctor about getting a social worker for your dad and the social worker can provide some in home care agencies.

I understand you. Truly I do. When you say he is not going to shower, he is NOT going to shower. No coaxing, no coddling is going to change his mind and I GET YOU.

Question for everyone....what is the LAW surrounding bathing? Can you MAKE someone shower? Someone mentioned forcing their mother into the shower and I understand the concern but IF the mother would have been "with it" enough and called the police screaming physical abuse, what would have happened?

The healthcare facilities in the state of Tennessee are telling me they cannot force a patient to take a shower unless that person creates an environment that creates a risk or unbearable living arrangement for others (like room mate, etc).

But what about someone in the home?? Anyone know??

1 2 3