My husband got the year, month, date and day wrong. Is this the first memory to go?

My husband came borderline at the doctors for a spanish memory test.

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
Patsy,
The action that revealed to ME that my mom had dementia was when she couldn't write out a check at the grocery store. She had written checks all of her adult life. She stood in line staring blankly at the check. After I realized she couldn't do it, I told her what and where to write.

I was observing her in the store also and she seemed lost. (In her defense, she didn't go grocery shopping hardly at all. I ordered groceries on line for her and the store would deliver them.) But she seemed disoriented and unable to figure out where things were. I had to guide her through the store.
Does your husband have trouble doing things now that he's done all his life? I didn't realize any of this living 500 miles away.
When she confused a sinus pill with an anti-anxiety pill I realized she was no longer responsible to take care of herself. She is now living in a memory care facility with Stage 5-6 Alzheimer's dementia.

You said it might take months to get your husband evaluated by a neurologist. Could you schedule an appointment and privately pay for the consultation? At least you would know sooner.

Please get a support system in place (friends, neighbors, family, church, etc.) for future help. Also, educate yourself as much as you can, read about dementia. It's imperative to know what you both would be in for. God bless you in this difficult time.

One of my husband's early signs was spatial awareness. He has always loved maps and geography, and had a perfect sense of direction. The day we left a store on Mass. Ave and he didn't KNOW instantly which way to Harvard Square, I knew there was a problem. He was still years away from diagnosis, but I knew that meant trouble ahead.

Hi everyone thank you again for all your answers the test was done in English he also failed to remember one of the three words that he had been given to remember. I just somethines think he is ok just maybe older than his actual years because of ill health etc and than you realise that he has forgotten how to use something that he hasn't used for a 6-12 months and he tries to hide the fact. He did agree to see the memory consultant so he does know in his own mind that something isn't right. It was sad when after completing the test the doctor said he had passed but with a C grade and would like to him to see a consultant. He looked at me and was confussed with "well I passed why do I need to go and see someone" anyway he asked me what I thought which is again is unual. So i think we both been in denial and we are accepting this a bit at a time.

When I had a car accident and appeared to have some scratches and bruises coming up from the air bag, the EMTs wanted me to go with them; but, I didn't feel it was necessary. So, they started the questioning. I was working part time then. When they asked the date, I knew the month, but not the date. When they asked the day of the week, I said it isn't Monday or Wednesday because I work on those days. I told them I was retired and only knew things that were not readily available in my phone, to which they grinned. When they asked who was president, I said, "UNFORTUNATELY, ..." They all laughed and decided I was fine and released me on my own signature to ride with the tow truck that took my husband's car home. :-( As some of the medical people have pointed out, it isn't getting the answers right that matters. They just want to observe your thought processes. It was a good point about being questioned in one's first language, though. The patient might not understand the questions or might not be able to express the answers properly. FYI Knowledge of a foreign language, if any of you want a diversion and have to be at home with LOs, is supposed to postpone the onset of dementia and some other forms of mental illnesses. It increases with the third, fourth, etc. language. So, maybe some of the free sites online or language learning sets might be something of interest and short mental escapes from your caretaking duties? Do I have to add it can be fun, especially with a buddy or if your LO happens to speak the language?

Sorry, didn't read all posts. Was English his first language? Maybe the test should have been given in English. Not knowing the date, who the President is etc are signs of progressing Alzheimers and Dementia. Neurologist will give a better exam.

Patsyretired: Has his doctor (neurologist, PCP, whatever) tried getting him to do a clock test? The wife of a friend of mine was asked to to a clock test and failed. She was asked to do the test, failed it, and is now in the latter stages of AD. If not, ask the doctor to do that. It may help with a diagnosis.

Patsyretired: (Even I made a mistake on your screen name on the last post-so sorry). One more thing I thought of is that if your husband's able to do crossword puzzles, that would benefit his mind greatly. Start with Monday's and work his way to each consecutive day. Mondays are the easiest.

Patysretired: The typical memory questions asked at the doctor (or even when a person has reached Medicare eligibility) is "what is the day, date, month, year; who is the President; where are you currently?" A person's "score" is then recorded. So, okay, let's say your husband doesn't leave the house much...that's where the problem comes in...the days just all flow together and they are left without a clue as to what day it is. But...since your husband failed four items (year, day, date and month) that should have raised a red flag to the doctor that something is amiss.

Please...in my opinion...and I am not a doctor...and do not tell you to do this but do know that if this happened to me I would lose weight...take Omega 3 ...exercise by walking or a rowing machine if my feet hurt...and straighten my spine at a chiropractor. A straight spine will get more blood and oxygen to the brain... Reathe in slowly and deeply for a few beeathes every hour. Listen to good happy music often. Learn something new....even a documentary... If I need a machine to pump air in my lungs as I sleep...I would. As lack of sleep due to restless sleep prevents air from going into the brain. Can you imagine how people get bedsores? No bloodflow to body parts then that part of the body starts to get rotten like bad meat and dies...well...your brain is the same...give it blood...give it air. Breathe and move. Let me know in 6 minths what happens. People give up in old age...sit...watch tv...and eat whatever....tbey move around less. I would bet there is another answer...not alzheimers in many seniors.

When Mum was first diagnosed with Alzheimers she, like many others didn't know the current day or month but unless she had a digital clock she lost the ability to tell the time. However she is on Donepezil now which suits her (it does not suit everyone I might add, not by a long mark, but she can now manage quite well things like time. What she can't do is follow a conversation so TV is something she watches avidly but never remembers so repeats are never a problem because it would take her watching it 5 or six times before she could remember it!

1 2 3 4