I'm not sure my husband knows he is slowly dying.

He is 81, has terminal cancer, dementia, and has now developed dysphagia (which prevents him from eating what he wants). He is in hospice home care. He keeps wanting me to take him to a doctor to see what is wrong & how to fix it. He has a living will which rules out tube feeding, artificial support, etc. I try to make him understand..........without spelling it out in certain terms..........that there is nothing the medical people can do. I don't want to flat out say "you are dying"; how can I handle this? He knows chemo didn't work; his oncologist even told him that eventually the cancer would get him.

15

Answers

Thanks all ♥

Peace be with you and his spirit. You both fought the good fight and each in your own way won. Let grief do it's work and keep the good memories alive.

He's at peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss but grateful he went quickly and had you by his side. Hugs to you.

PA, my condolences to you and your/his family. You fought the good fight.

Adding my condolences as well, and I too am glad that he was spared being moved to a higher care level.

Sorry, PA GAL.....

Pagan, condolences to you.

Just to let you all know: my knight in shining armor passed away Saturday the 13th in Good Samaritan Hospice. My prayers were answered because I hoped the cancer would take him before the dementia commanded me to put him in a safer place because I could not care for him. RIP my Bud!!

On the practical side, there are a number of feeding aids and concentrated liquid foods that are designed to help people with dysphagia. Contoured cups are a commonly used, but there are other options like the SafeStraw and RoseCup that may be useful.