Husband did not accept Alzheimer's....went to see another Doctor. Why can't he accept it?

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 months ago by a psychiatrist. He was fine since a week ago and demanded to go and see our GP....which told him that the MRI scan show vascular dementia instead of Alzheimer's. I am so confused now. I must take the MRI scans from 2012 and now 2015 back to the Drs who did the MRI scans for them to show the differences between then and now. I am quite tired from all of this....why cant he accept what is happening with him.

18

Answers

When my husband was diagnosed with "mild dementia," the neurologist referred him to a neuropsychologist who concluded he "did not fit the pattern for Alzheimer's." She interviewed both of us for an hour and tested him for two. He has since been diagnosed with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.

Vascular dementia and Alzheimers's are NOT the same. VaD decreases generally in a step-wise fashion, whike Alz is a continous loss. Medications ok for Alz like tri-cyclic antidepressants, steroids and ergotamines increase some for s of VaD. He obviously understands this is bad, and may be hoping for a miracle. Sme older people are vitamin B deprived and fixing that fixes the problems (one example). Too many are wrongly diagnosed. Doctors make mistakes. The patient has to pay for those mistakes, Better safe than sorry. Some forms of VaD include a progression into apathy, at which time he will care less because his brain will be damaged in the area of motivation. It is important to determine the diagnosis most correct for him.

I don't know too many people who like to "accept" a terminal diagnosis. If he has any cognitive abilities, then he is holding out for "hope". Don't take that away from him, and as the disease process begins in earnest, he will forget...time for you to take a break and go see a comedy. We caregivers don't like this diagnosis anymore than the patient. Try to stay strong for him.

Irries: Why can't he accept it?
Harvard Health Publications states, Re: Diagnosing Alzheimer's Disease
No blood test, brain scan, or physical exam can definitively diagnose Alzheimer's disease. And because so many conditions can produce symptoms resembling those of early Alzheimer's, reaching the correct diagnosis is complicated.

Maggie....thanx a lot I dont like your answer at all....we have been from dr to dr and the prognoses are the same...it was only the last one yesterday who says it looks rather like vasculer dimentia. I have great sympathy for my husband, but he always was a person who never belief doctors, no matter what the outcome of anything was that he went to see the doctor for....that is why it is so difficult to get him to accept and rather live each day as good as he can before he looses everthing....

Oops, I was typing as you posted Windyridge!

Reenytdb, you have tried to hi-jack someone else's post and are demanding an immediate answer? NOT good forum etiquette, but I will answer you anyway.

Dementia isn't diagnosed with a blood test. While advanced brain scans like MRIs will show signs of some forms of dementia a diagnosis is often made by asking a series of questions designed to test cognitive function. There are very simple tests that almost anyone can do and there are more detailed ones that are usually given by a neurologist or someone who has been specially trained.
I encourage you to search for answers already contained within this site by using the search box on the top right.

Reeny, first, this site is not manned 24/7 by a call center. We're all just people like you sharing experiences, answering questions as best we can and giving support and advice to each other.

For specific questions find the box "Ask a question". Type it in and hit Post.

As to this question, there are different tests for dementia mostly cognitive type I think. In all honestly if your mom is showing classic signs of dementia it's not terribly important that she is officially tested and diagnosed.

My dad has always refused any testing but his is a classic case and I don't push the issue. He says he's fine but his short term memory is about 30 seconds.

If you get this post, learn how to use this site. There's tonsvof good info and lots of knowledgeable people to talk with.

I wish you the best. This is a tough thing to deal with.

There has been very very good progress in diagnosing Alzheimer's. Before it had to based on symptoms and confirmed after death with examination of the brain. But now there are a number of things that can help confirm the diagnosis before death.

That is not necessarily true of other kinds of dementia.

Mixed dementia is extremely common.

Where's my answer