My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's over a year ago. He seems to be much better. Has anyone else experienced this?

He was forgetting things that happened recently, but talking constantly about the old days, was confused, having close calls while driving, acting out sexually, etc. following me everyplace. Dr. put him on Aricept and later Zoloft. Now I am questioning myself. Am I losing it?

19

Answers

Don't let this disease fool you.. it is relentless. Try not to put things off. I waited thinking I still had lots of time and I didn't. The changes can happen so quickly. Overnight it seems he went from 'ok at home' to needing a nursing home. I was pretty much unprepared. Now I am scrambling to find the right place. Get a case worker from your local ADRC or senior center or where ever. Good luck and God bless

I'm not a doctor or nurse, but I do gather from reading here & elsewhere that "dementia" is sort of a catch-all phrase, describes symptoms more than a definitive disease. So there is going to be a huge variety of severity of symptoms. Just like some cancer patients can go into remission there are probably dementia patients that have "good" days. Again I'm not a medical professional. After the Aricept and Zoloft the brain is now functioning differently-- just as someone with OCD might feel better after optimal dose of Paxil (SSRI), what that means is Good News: the medication is working! It does not mean that the diagnosis was wrong--in fact if the medications were stopped the symptoms might well return. Don't stop any meds without doctor approval!

If he didnt have a UTI, sometimes a b12 deficiency or a D deficiency can cause the acting out too. When my Mom broke her hip the hospital found she didnt even register on the B12 chart so they gave her shots for weeks. Sometimes my Mom seems better, I feel like she is growing brain cells back when she understands me. Its almost like she had a clot in her brain that burst when she had her stroke and started to heal, I know, sounds stupid but one can only hope. The zoloft might have calmed him down, it also stops the sexual urges, so maybe thats all he needed, enjoy!!

If he has been diagnosed with dementia, then he has dementia no matter how he presents. The Aricept may be slowing the progression of symptoms of the disease but there is no cure. I have spoken to people and didn't recognized they had dementia until much later because they presented well. If he is having close calls while driving it may be time for him to stop driving. If he were not demented he would probably feel bad if he had an accident and hurt someone. Only difference now is he doesn't recognize the risk. In my experience, those with dementia can vary from day to day, one day can be good the next day they can be very confused and combative or are acting out behaviorally. Enjoy the time you have together, discuss the 'old' days, laugh and love him as much as you can for the time you have left together.

Ill say it again, I wish I had found this forum while mom was alive. I was told she just had dementia and years later she was diagnosed with LBD and Parkinsons. Made a major difference after researching it. Good luck .

Discuss the changes you see with your father's doctor. If your father seems to be experiencing "peaks and valleys" in his cognition it is possible he has Lewy Body Dimentia and not Alzheimer's. Although there are similarities between the diseases they are quite different. Also, Lewy Body patients experience some of the physical characteristics of Parkenson's Disease (parkensonisms). The three diseases are different and are treated differently. Research LBD and if you see identifiable symptoms ask his doctor to consider a possible change in diagnosis.
I suggest that you start by Googling the Lewy Body Dimentia Association. also, if your dad hasn't already signed a HIPPA form allowing his doctors and other medical professionals to speak directly to you and other family members, be sure to do so ASAP. You can get template forms off the internet.
Good luck with the journey ahead.

Is he still taking the meds? BTW my mother has had a number of small strokes or TIAs and they leave her really mentally debilitated for a few days, sometimes weeks when she has several. She is 103 and on meds for it + baby aspirin, but sometimes she just seems to falter. Could it be a stroke. People recover from strokes.

Any systemic infection--urinary, oral, ??, not to mention possible side effects of medications, particularly statin drugs, might be causing similar symptoms.

Alzheimers is not a diagnosable disease. The only way to diagnose it is with an autopsy. I would guess that your husband was misdiagnosed. (it's a guess at best.) One of my clients almost died from hypothyroid because she was misdiagnosed with Alzheimers. It has the same symptoms as do a plethora of other conditions. He could have had a urinary tract infection and recovered. UTIs will make an elderly person CRAZY. Be thankful that your husband is recovering and think positive. Perhaps he had something that was quite temporary.

Please remember, as others have said here, Alzheimer's is not curable. Think of your brain as you would your fingerprints - no two people have exactly the same fingerprints. No two people have exactly the same brain. Yes - the brain performs the same functions for people but each is very different from the next person. With this in mind - certain drugs work for one person and not the next. If your loved one seems better - take the advice of many other here on this site - enjoy the time you have... Best wishes on this journey.