How to stop the constant noise?

My mother moved in with us a year ago and against our better judgement allowed her to bring her parakeet. Long story short...we can no longer stand the constant noise. It is as if we have TWO birds. Not only that-- she allows the bird to fly about her suite.. It leaves droppings in numerous perching spots, bird seed mess etc. I'm afraid that her own noises will amplify when the bird is gone. And yes, it's going. Either that or my husband leaves!!

13

Answers

Mom agreed to let my daughter keep the bird!! Thank goodness! I drove budgie 2.5 hours to re-home him with my sweet Emmie and realized during the drive that MY MOM was likely driving the bird crazy!! Budgie was quiet during our road trip until I made chirping sounds and then we would both call it quits. Emmie confirms this. We can still visit Budgie. Anyway, while I was on my drive my mother fell again. No broken bones but she is badly bruised. Mom is still "chirping" ;)
Being English and affectionately referred to as a "British bird" throughout her life, mom can now laugh about it ...and with a smile says, "I suppose you kept the wrong bird!" Lol

Rather the bird be PTS. Not the vet! A bit squirrely here...

The bird being the immediate problem, can someone take it 'temporarily' (forever) for a visit? Maybe it has a health issue and the vet had to be 'put to sleep'. Many humane societies take in birds to re-home as do local pet rescues.

Please allow me to be off topic for just one second - mama died 10 days ago and I haven't laughed since until just now. I'm sorry for the OP's dilemma, but you guys are a hoot!!

I have to laugh at this - not at you folks dealing with the noise, but because it reminds me so much of my own grandmother, who had severe dementia with hallucinations and delusions. She nailed windows shut to keep burglars out because they were cooking in the kitchen and hiding her pots/pans (to justify why she couldn't find her favorite pan), she painted her car with house paint and a roller, insisted she was a CIA agent, working with the FBI, the president, etc - and lurked behind bushes spying on the neighbors. So you can see visits to her were interesting, to say the least.

Grandma had 2 birds - Cockatiels. Anyone who has had these birds knows they can be incredibly noisy. They were in a big cage in the corner of the kitchen, and Grandma was always stationed in an opposite corner of the kitchen at the table, coffee in one hand and cigarette in the other. Grandma was also deaf as a post, even with her hearing aid up full blast. She would sit and listen to the birds squawk and screech and say, "Oh listen, it's saying 'pretty bird!' - listen it's saying 'son of a b---!"

I tell you....we plotted the demise of those birds in SOOO many ways. Roasting them and serving them for dinner.....hooking jumper cables to the cage and giving them a jolt every time they started screeching....

we were evil, I tell you....just evil.

I agree that the bird may be the most immediate issue, but other things will come soon. It sounds like she forgets what she said and forgets what she has done. My loved one would swear that she did not put the heat on 80, but she had. Her brain did not allow her to recall doing it. So we had to put a locked device on the thermostat. I told her it was a device that helped the thermostat save energy. She was okay with that. She never tried to get inside the box after that.

Dementia, if that is what your mom has, makes it impossible to really make any real agreements. She won't be able to honor them. You can't expect her to really actually appreciate what harm the bird may be doing. You just need to do what is going to work for you, while being as sensitive as possible to her feelings.

If you are going to continue to care for her, then I would not likely take on anymore responsibilities, but if you chose, you might trade her bird for one that makes little noise. There are also some pretty realistic looking fake birds that move and even make a little noise. They are motion activated. You can also get cats and dogs who sleep and snore. They come with their own bed. Check online with Perfect Pets online.

Yeah, I vote for a lock on the cage door. Assandache! I like your style! Lololo. When mom says, "next you'll be locking me up," just laugh and tell her, "Well....now that you mention it...." With a laugh. You aren't being unreasonable. This is one of the first in a long line of decisions that mom's not going to be happy about. Get used to it. ;)

Oops! Someone left the window open!

jeannegibbs, what a wonderful kind caring way you have of words. I do admire you.

Gosh Lillybet, just wring the poor birds neck and silence it so you'll have golden time and your mom will be without... or, find a nice solution that will benefit everyone, bird included.

"No Mom, we are definitely not thinking of locking you up! You are not a bird, and you don't poop on the furniture! I love you very much, but let's see how it goes with the bird in her cage most of the time."

I wouldn't let her pouting dictate your behavior.

At the same time, you might be considering the cost of having upholstered surfaces covered with something easily washed, and having carpets and chairs cleaned periodically compared to the dismay not having her pet will cause your mother. How important is it to you to have her suite in a pristine state of cleanliness?

Thanks jeannegibbs for your informative note. Much appreciated. We contemplated the 'locked cage' but her response is always, "I suppose you'll lock me up next!" If you only knew the half of it! I'll research VBD and speak to her doctor. Thank you!