Any ideas on how to sleep more than 4 hours a day?

I'm an only son and I've been taking care of my mom for 2 years now. She'said bed ridden and has no clue who I am although sometimes she smiles at me and every now and then she kisses me when I beg for them.
I have aid 2 days a week (for 2 and a half hours per day ), but it's tough. I've been through depression phases but managed to get out of them.
However, I get to sleep around 9 (I'm tired) , but I wake up every 2 hrs on the clock, very out of control , and I am getting really getting upset.
Any suggestions, please!

26

Answers

1 2 3
Many good, gentle ideas in this thread. I would add: use 10 slower, deeper breaths (throughout the day too!) This is enough to calm the "fight or flight" response that can creep in - it also turns on the "relaxation response" in the body. Middle of the night it can help bring the mind back to the present and to the body, instead of fueling nervous or anxious thoughts in past or future.

My guess is that you are worried that while you sleep your mother will need you.
I'll bet you get up and check her when you wake.
You've unconciously set your "internal clock" to wake you.My advice (works for me) is that I "cat nap" at any opportunity.
Short sessions of sleep will work just as well as a good solid night's rest and keep you healthy without sleep aides.
The trick is to find the time when you know your mother is settled and comfortable for an hour or two.Set an alarm to wake you so you won't worry that you'll sleep through a crisis.
You will relieve mind of worry, thus dozing off quickly and deeply for that stolen hour.
Also consider are unduly attentive to needs that may not exist?
Make a mental list of everytime you check on her and ask yourself was that really necessary ?
You'd be surprised how easy it is to turn ourselves into dotting mother hens.
Keep well.Sleep well.

I just found out that the body goes through a type cycle for sleep. We enter a "sleep gate" every 90 minutes to 2 hours. If you miss your sleep gate, you have to wait for the next one. Tossing and turning in bed won't help. It's better to get up, drink a warm cup of herbal tea, think of peaceful things (such as what you're grateful for) listen to soothing music--just like juddabuddhaboo advises. Then when you feel sleepy, go back to bed.

Lots of good ideas here! Just wanted to add that I have had good results using Natural Vitality products-Natural Calm & OsteoCalm.

I have used Bach flower remedy: Rescue Remedy with great success too. Find it in the health store or sometimes a super market. It's $15 dollars but lasted me for a few years!

I listen to Steve Halpren's music made to help you go to sleep. Also I put my computer on the itunes radio station Sleep Radio. or use Pandora.com and create your own new age station playing Deuter and others. Very soft and soothing music. Make sure computer is not in your room though.

Lots of choices in herbal teas: Celestial Seasonings has Tension Tamer Tea, Sleepy Time, and Sleepy Time Extra. Special herb teas without caffeine can be found in supermarkets or health stores.

Taking time to have happy thoughts before you go to bed is good. Or write down a list of things to do that are on your mind and then dismiss them. They will be there on your pad tomorrow. Let go and trust.
Don't eat before bed. This one is hard for me to do! But some foods are worse than others. If your tummy is busy trying to digest food on top of all the other work it does while you sleep, you will feel agitated.

Peace!

I'll start with asking a question. Is one of the reasons because you are checking on your Mom to make sure she's ok? My husband has dementia and sleeps in another room. I have gotten a Phillips LifeLine button. Besides the button he can push if he needs help, I have the option installed that if he falls, the unit goes off to alert me & LifeLine. I can sleep. This option also gives me the option of NOT following him around like when he goes outside. This gives him a bit more of a feeling of self-esteem. And, no, I'm not an employee. Just a user. Check with the different "button" companies to see what they offer. Depression on your part? Yes, You need the help of the earlier suggestions or a physician. God bless & good luck.

You can take graval -- or travel tabs 50 mg It is a natural sedative .Take two about seven in the evening.You can not become addicted to them.Works for my husband & son.I'm from Ont. & to buy them by the 100 's I have to ask the pharmasist They keep them behnd the counter .

I feel you. I don't get a full nights rest either due to dad calling me every two hours at night. I have done this so long that my mind "thinks" it hears my name being called...and after this i am changingbit lol because i know for years after dad is gone i will still hear my name being called. It is hard to be up ann day and not get the required sleep. I am afraid to take anything in case i sleep through him calling me. I am giving dad melatonin suggested by his cardiologist but it does not help him sleep any longer than he already does...hoping it would help me get more sleep and not disturb my husbands sleep everytime i'm called. I am on anti anxiety meds which make me tired and help fall asleep...but again i'm still bothered all night. I am not comfortable with a stranger here at night to help with this issue..I don't think it would make me sleep any better...great suggestions above if you are able to not be bothered during that time and can actually sleep for 8 hours. My mind is on alert even if i don't want it to be no matter if i take benadryl or melatonin or any other sleep aid...hope something works for you. We ALL understand on here. Great people with great suggestions. I'm looking into respite care just so i have a week off and can finally sleep worry free for a little time...hang in there!

Jose,

Are you working or have you needed to stop working to care for your mother? How is your current financial situation? What money does your mother have coming in and what are her assets that could be used to help pay for outside help for her care?

You really need to see a therapist about your depression and anxiety.

Something about your mother's care must change because you cannot humanly keep up this pace.

You are extremely lucky and blessed to be getting the 4 hours of sleep! You really need more help than you are getting. If you don't find a way to add additional hours of help, you won't ever be in a position to get more sleep, and will probably actually end up getting even less. You really need to take care of yourself first, and if you're up to it and in good health and have all the resources you need at your fingertips, you can keep caregiving. If not, you shouldn't be doing it at all. You will burn out, get sick, and then you'll really be in a pickle. This happens all the time, because people don't realize they can't do it all, or shouldn't be caregiving in the first place, because they lack what they need or lack the personal traits and qualities it takes to be a caregiver. This is the hardest job on the planet.

1 2 3