Any tips on how to keep eye glasses safe?

My cousin, who I am responsible for, is in AL Secure Memory Care Unit. She has advanced mixed dementia. She doesn't recall much of anything that happens 5 minutes ago. She is in a wheelchair, but able to scoot around pretty well. She loves her roommate and calls her her best friend, though she doesn't know her name. She's been there about 9 months. My cousin gets great care there and I have no real complaints at this time, except that my cousin's eye glasses keep going missing. They normally turn up in the belongs of her roommate, who also has advanced dementia and I'm sure has no idea whether she or my cousin are hiding the eye glasses.

I don't know if my cousin is the one taking them off and leaving them in her roommates area or if someone else does it. At this point, I don't know that it matters. My cousin does't focus enough to read or watch tv, but I would think she still would like her glasses to see better. Unless, I ask, she doesn't know she wears glasses.

I've thought about rigging them up with a string to her wheelchair, but that sounds dangerous. Any suggestions. How could you put a tracking device on them?

I have the option of having her moved to a different room, but she loves her roommate. They are two of the most verbal residents and I would hate to make her sad just to keep her glasses.

Any suggestions? This must be a common problem. Other things get missing too, but I don't sweat those things.

19

Answers

Now this magnet attachment only works if the person using it can place one of the stems of the eyeglasses into the raised portion of the bar, thus sliding the stem down until it catches and folds the glasses smooth against the chest. Staff should be able to help with this. These magnets are so strong that I once forgot and left them on a cotton turtleneck shirt, ran it through the wash, and the magnet was still attached, but there was a hole in my shirt. Beware! Remove before washing...(never have done that again).

Ferris1- fantastic suggestion about the magnets! I am going to look for them for my Dad. He loses his glasses a lot at his facility. We have them labeled with his name, and have the routine with staff to check for them constantly...but magnets would help!

Regarding the magnets - they are attached to a bar about two inches in length as well as securely attached on the part you place on the outside of the shirt. Unless she has shark-like teeth, she cannot pry the magnets away. Walmart used to sell two for about $10, one with diamonds (well, like), and the other was plain. Now the same price, but you only get one - they are so popular. I watched the inventor on Shark Tank years ago when he was just starting...shows what a little ingenuity can get you!

Thank you so much for the kind comments and suggestions. I will certainly look at them all. I'll take a look at the magnets. My only concern is if she could eat them. In her wing, the residents don't even have soap or lotion available, because they can ingest it. I'm afraid to give her anything with small parts. But, still, I'll take a look at it. It might work for me! I'm always laying down my reading glasses. lol

TV and other things aren't really an issue in my cousin's wing, because I think her roommate is the only one who knows how to turn one on. My cousin lost interest and doesn't watch it anymore, but the sound doesn't seem to bother her. She's pretty easy to get along with most of the time.

This was a daily search and find rescue operation at my house, until I got the product that one wears on their shirt. It is a magnet that has a holder on the outer side with the magnets worn underneath the shirt. Those magnets are so strong, they do not come apart easily. Walmart sells them in their optical dept. You could also try the glasses holder worn about the neck and attaches to each stem of the frames. If she takes them off, they will just dangle about her neck (is not harmful).

We use Zenni optical online also! They will also put her name ON the glasses!!

I also dislike TV, but occasionally want to watch a movie. I got a Kindle (if she is capable of working one??) and I have earbuds and watching my Kindle (or reading on it) bothers no one. And IPad or something like that would be nice and wouldn't bother her RM. And as a Private pay, she is entitled to SOME privileges.

When we went to see Aunt once and she was staring at the walls. Asked her why no TV. Because it bothered RM. Not that it matters but Aunt was private pay at the time. Told her she was paying to be there and she had a right to watch TV.

Yes, nice she gets along with roommate. Aunt had problems. Not because of her but roommates. One didn't like her having a TV. She didn't like them. Next one complained that her TV interferred with her TV because Aunt was hard of hearing. So we got her headphones, not good enough, woman could still see the TV. Last roommate was as hard of hearing as Aunt. This is what I don't like about long term nursing facilities. Sharing of rooms. Sharing of closets.

Shoot--my HUSBAND loses his glasses constantly and he's only 63! He can't see well enough without them to find them, so I am on the search, constantly, I have sitting right here next to me an ad for "beepers" that you can attach to commonly lost items--it looks inexpensive enough I am going to order about 20 and put them on his keys, the remotes, the phones and all his glasses. Also going to do this for Mother. Her place is a hoarded mess, and she loses her remotes and glasses daily. I am hoping we can wall mount the "finding unit" as that might just get lost too. (When I worked in Elder Care I KNEW that Monday was always going to be spent primarily in looking for my client's glasses.
Your cousin is so lucky to have you--so refreshing to hear a story of caregiving that has love shining through it. Most of us struggle with the day-to-day..but you sound so upbeat and sweet. God bless you!