My grandmother can't smell good and my grandad sleeps all day! Only gets up to move from bed to couch to sleep there till he wants to eat. Then she brings his food to him. He pees on himself constantly and lies about it bc he doesn't want to go to bathroom. He has bad kidneys so his urine smells STRONG and bc he won't go to bathroom. The peepads and diapers don't help. Everything she washes smells like urine and she will only wash something once and in hot water because she is stuck in her ways and knows EVERYTHING and she absolutely will not let anyone wash anything bc she KNOWS HOW TO DO IT BEST. What can I use to keep towels, my kids clothes, my work clothes, etc from smelling like strong urine?? I don't want to bathe then dry off with a towel that smells like pee!

The problem is going to be getting rid of the odors with out washing multiple times since it's been allowed to accumulate, as it were.

My dad had terrible smelling laundry when he came, I used baking soda with my detergent and then vinegar in the rinse, but some things took multiple washes to get rid of the build up.

Someone on here recommended using ammonia and said one wash.

You will have to do some tests to see what works best for your situation.

Could you get mom to soak stuff at least? Or let you do your own laundry?

What ever you end up doing, vinegar will help freshen everything, it kills the enzymes that cause the odor.

I use Tide Pods with Oxy. Sometimes I use 2 instead of one. I also noticed mom’s polyester pants seem to be harder to rid the smell. It comes back in the dryer. I buy slacks from goodwill if I can find a good ones, that way they are cheap and if I have too, I throw them out. Mom has Alzheimer’s, it’s such a heart breaking disease. Hope the Tide works for you.
Reply to Vickie63

I used to soak my dads clothes in a vinegar water bath. Then when it came time to do the wash, I would use:
-arm & hammer powder
-Cup of vinegar
-Twice the amount of laundry soap recommended
-Downy softener
-A laundry smell booster like downy (they are smell good beads you put IN the washer with the clothes
-and if I could get away with it, a small amount of bleach.

Then I would set it on regular wash but with an hour "soak" in the cycle.

Sometimes the pee would stink my washer up so I would follow up the next load of wash with something I needed a crap ton of bleach to wash. Like the dogs beds and blankets. That usually helped get rid of any pee odor.

Hope this helps!
Reply to Hawaiianglo

I have a suggestion that we used for a client who was bed-ridden. On the nights that she would require 2 total bed changes( including waterproofpads, the disp. pads, her clothing,etc) we decided to try some of the Nature's Miracle (enzyme cleaner) that we used for her cats 'accidents'. It definitely makes huge difference after we allowed laundry to soak for an hour before running full cycle. Even using it in a hand spay bottle as a pre-wash treatment. I hope it helps you through your situation. Regards, Liz
Reply to TxDizzyLizzy

I used vinegar but soaked a bad item over night. I also suggest that you wash your kids and your clothes separate fro Grandpops. I also suggest that you use a clorox wipe on the tub of the washer. Towels, let soak in vinegar before you wash. May take a couple of times. I found that if the item still has urine in it, the smell will come out in the dryer. So you may want to line dry if you can the first wash or two. If you need to "iron" the clothes, throw them in the dryer with a damp washcloth for a few minutes. Then take them out, wrinkles should be gone.

Someone on the forum recommended an enzyme type product that helps. I know Moms LTC was able to get the smells out.

With granddad you may want to have him drink more water. It delutes the urine smell. Some meds make the urine strong smelling too. I feel for you. My Mom couldn't smell at all. I felt bad when I had to tell her she smelled.

Buy your own soaps and pay the water bill. Then you can wash your own things. She can wash hers if she feels it is a job she is supposed to do. Many older people were raised with rules of creating very little waste. You'll never change that mindset. You might buy a gallon of odorban..or odoban...at Sam's. It works pretty good with all odors. Add it to the wash. Also, tell her that everything smells like pee. She may not be able to smell it anymore, but probably wouldn't want others to smell it on her when she's out.
Reply to my2cents

I would do white vinegar wash first. And there is a product called Folex which is for pet stains which I swear by. Lowes, home depot bbb.
It works.
Reply to Segoline
Ahmijoy Apr 17, 2019
Thanks, Segoline. I’m going to try this as well.
(0)
You’ve gotten good advice on how to rid the smell. But if you can’t encourage your grandma to do your and your kids laundry any differently, then maybe you should keep your stuff separate and do your own? You could take it to the laundromat if she won’t let you use her machine.
Reply to rocketjcat

Keep your laundry separate, buy your own detergent, etc. and do your own laundry. Don’t let your clothes, towels, etc. be combined with their’s. Go to the laundromat if you need to. If Grandpa is marinating in pee, do they understand that it can cause infections? Do they know how unsanitary and toxic it can be especially if there are children in the house? Maybe it’s time to find your own place?