My sister's husband is in the later stages of Alzheimer's. She didn't bother getting POA or DPOA when he was able to make decisions and the process didn't cost anything. I tried to direct her how to do it before. Now, he is unable to make any sort of decision or even sign his name. They have no available funds to hire an attorney or go to court so she can get guardianship or conservatorship for him. She needs to be able to sign legal papers. How might she be able to go about getting these legal documents without paying for them, in order to do what needs to be done? The state is KS.

Check with the Area Agency/Counsel on Aging. In our area local lawyers hold a monthly clinic and provide a free services. If you have something similar in your area then they may prepare an uncontested petition at no cost.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to TNtechie

It may depend on where you live. Lawyers are expensive. You may be able to find the necessary forms at the county clerks office and apply for a limited guardianship. It may require some forms be sent to close relatives like spouse, siblings , children, etc. It does here in Nevada.
Our courts have most forms available online. There may be a free source for assistance in your area.
I would start by checking with the county courts and see where they might send you and what forms may be available.
I wish you the best of luck.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to OldSailor
tdennisfam Feb 18, 2019
Thank you.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter