My Mom was diagnosed with moderate to severe Parkinson's bout 2.5 - 3 yrs ago. How to deal with her hallucinations?

Was not that bad then. She was relatively able to "deal". What got to me, is the hallucinations. First it was me seeing her walk the hall holding hands w/little girl and talking to her...Which didn't exist. He went to rehab for 3 months, and seem to work...But, later in time, she thought i had as she calls it, a "whore" or "more" in the house. It total visual/audible hallucinations. Sometimes she'nice, then other times she hates me???Wat do you do!!! She also has Dementia.

16

Answers

You should check her medicine. My father had the same issue and the doctor found Mirapex was the cause.

Check with her Neurologist. Some of the PD medications cause this. We had to quit 2 different ones.

Does she by any chance have a bladder infection. My mom had Parkinson Disease for 16 years. She did have bouts of hallucinations. The good ones I would just go with it. She had badder infections some times and that seemed to increase the hallucinations. Never stop to have this checked out!

Talk to her doctor.

Care4Mom2, our mom just passed after a long battle with vascular dementia. Once she could no longer walk and needed a hoyer lift time was short. Her ability to swallow was compromised and appetite fell off. She lasted three and a half months in a nursing home. You have shown exceptional strength and courage to carry on for 13 years. I salute you. Godspeed.

I have taken care of mom for 13 years until the last 7 weeks when it just became too much to bare. My mom has depression, hallucinations, delusions, confusion and paranoia. The last six weeks have been a whirlwind from hell. She spent a total of 3-1/2 weeks in a mental hospital (2 separate visits) and now is in a rehab/nursing facility because she can no longer walk and is refusing to eat. I do not think she remembers how to walk although they are going to start rehab on Monday. She is so agitated and contrary that I just cant see that happening, she refuses to do what is ask of her. This was NOT her nature - she is totally opposite now from the lovely lady that raised me. She is still hallucinating, living in her dreams, depressed, confused, and paranoid.... so what the meds are doing I do not know. She has vascular dementia so every time she has a mini stroke it gets worse and/or changes. Mom is 92 years old and my prayer is that God has Mercy on her because this is an insidious disease that has no pat answers. All I can do is love her... and I do.

Reminds me of my mother - she had Paranoid Schizophrenia, later came Dementia, and Parkinson's - when she lived alone she was always calling the police because she was convinced of all sorts of things. Arguing with people that weren't there on a bus or watching a show on the TV that was not even turned on. When she went into the nursing home things never got better, she eased up a bit from the meds yet she was always lost to reality. Later, after she went into the nursing home all the other mental problems came about, I didn't realize until all the replies that the Dementia and Parkinson's played into the delusions as well. My sister was the point of contact and I lived across the country and was unable to travel so there was much day to day I did not know about. Before the end they said she also had Alzheimer's - I have learned much from reading the various posts. It gives me much to consider for myself and much to talk about with our children. I want them to know how they should handle things if these problems happen with me later.

My mom has, what I call, 'episodes' where she talks all nite and hallucinates all day. This has been going on for 3 years, at first months apart and now every week. If she isn't upset by what she's seeing? I just go along with it since that's usually easier than trying to convince her she's in la-la land. Lately she's been asking about the name of my husband...thing is, I've been divorced for several years but try and convince her of that! Nope...she's just sure that I'm married again and even saw my new hubby on TV last nite. So today I told her his name is 'Simon'...she was satisfied with that for now. So far...so good. It's just a day at a time for all of us caregivers.

scanner2971, isn't she on Aricept?

The best thing you can do is find a doctor who is very well experienced in handling Lewy Body Dementia.

These symptoms you describe are all and part the dementia mixed with Parkinson's which effects the dopamine in her brain. She is never going to be "normal" again, so take her to her doctor and describe her symptoms. Learn to deal with it, or get her some professional help.