I am primary caregiver and HCP for a 92 y/o man with no remaining blood relatives that my family "adopted" about 12 years ago. However, I am NOT his 24/7 caregiver and I do not live with him. I do EVERYTHING necessary for him outside his home (bills, shopping, drs., etc.) and even some help (mainly cooking and food prep and recently added laundry) inside the home. He was my Mom's neighbor in her senior bldg before she went to the NH. Amazingly he is still mentally sharp, but he is legally blind and uses a cane (with limited proficiency). He maintains himself and his apartment quite well, but is limited in cooking abilities, mainly using the microwave. He has been in quite good physical health (only took a low dose thyroid pill all these years) until winter of 2012, when he was hospitalized for pneumonia, at which time it was also discovered that he had a heart murmur and hypertension. Now he is on several medications. First week in July 2013, he ended up in the hospital again with C-diff, and released with an oral antibiotic 3 days later to "home with family care". I was furious with the hospital when I saw this on the discharge papers. The nurse claimed it was a typo "error" and that he was not being released against doctors advice. I know Uncle had railroaded the doctor into believing that he could take care of himself at home and that I would be there to take care of him as well. Needless to say, I was not happy with Uncle, told him so, and he of course denied having been underhanded. I then spent the next 10 days running ragged, with food prep, meds mgmt, laundry, housecleaning, etc. because he was still rather weak from the c-diff and the antibiotic. Last Friday, he called me in the morning and said his right leg was very swollen. I finally got over to see him that afternoon and the leg was inflamed from the calf to the toes. He flatly refused to see the doctor or go to the ER. He decided that would keep his legs elevated as much as possible over the weekend and wanted to wait until his Monday (15th) pre-set routine appt with the Podiatrist. I went along with it and put in more hours than usual seeing to his needs. It did not swell any worse, but it was redder and I was worried. By Monday he could hardly walk, but we got him to the car. I told the Podiatrist that I believed he needed to be in the hospital not only for the leg, but he had also described symptoms that morning of have a UTI as well (I was right). The Podiatrist was in complete agreement, and at my rquest, consulted with his PCP by phone and wrote me a script for the ER advising that he be admitted-DONE. I told the ER people in no uncertain terms that I was extremely PO'd with the C-diff management and this time around I wanted a Case manager on him, and that I would not be taking him home prematurely. He is now on IV as well as oral antibiotics (for continued C-diff meds, cellulitis infection in the leg/foot, and the UTI). We are waiting for results of leg dopplers and circulatory diagnostics as well. Today, I spoke with the Nurse, the case manager/social worker, and one of the doctors, and the consensus is that he very likely will need rehab (by end of this week) due to his being legally blind and also the legs are very weak. PT will evaluate him for this before discharge. I know Uncle is going to be very adamant that he "feels fine" and once again will be able to go home and "take care of himself". I would like some input from my wonderful caregiver friends on this site as to how I can diplomatically convince him that he needs to be in Rehab for a couple of weeks and not to fight me over it. He hates Rehab, and his greatest fear is the NH, which is the logical next step that we hope to avoid as long as possible. I just want to get him over this temporary setback, and will arrange for some in-home assistance after Re-hab (for both our benefit, as I cannot keep up this increasing pace with him). Sorry to be so long-winded. It's so much easier to give others objective advice, and now I need some from all of you. Depending on the situation, I'm not too good in the 'persuasion' dept. and tend to go for being no-nonsense 'firm' which usually works, but sometimes results in butting heads with frustration and anger on both sides. At 92, this is no good for him regardless of his mental competency, and I don't seem to be able to develop the patience of a saint. His PCP told me a few weeks ago that I was going to go to Heaven, and I told him IF he was right, it would probably be BEFORE my Uncle! (LOL). What kind of persuasive things can I say to my Uncle to get him to be compliant without him putting up too much of a fuss over it?