How quickly does congestive heart failure progress?

My 90 year old husband has pacemaker and congestive heart disease. He moans and groans at any exertion, sitting to standing, walking etc. He spends more and more time just sitting and resting. Wondering how quickly the heart disease is progressing? Cardiologist does't say much. We're thinking about moving to a house withou stairs, but wonder if the readjustment is worth it?

13

Answers

My late mother never even spoke up about the fact that she had congestive heart failure 20 years prior to her diagnosis. She went on to live another 12 years with it.

@joann29 Your reply made me laugh because you described my mom to a T.

My Dad survived for 14 years.

But, he did not have a heart attack...they caught it before the actual attack would have occurred (just luck), so he had no scar tissue surrounding his heart to complicate things.

My dad lived about 2 years. He seemed perfectly healthy at first but the last 6 months were pretty bad. He was in home hospice for 9 weeks before passing. My mom really watched his diet but he was unable to remove fluids because of the heart. He had several trips to the er because of it.

You need to pursue a different cardiologist. Get one who will speak!

I think this would definitely take a period of years. I've only known of two people who had it but I'm unsure exactly how long it takes to progress. On my mom's death certificate, she had hypertension as mentioned and that lasted for years. Another person I used to know who since died had congestive heart failure and he had it for years. I don't recall how long he said he had it.

You might also want to do some research on the cures because I just found some videos out there where it can be cured. I would first listen to the ones with patient testimonials and those who went into remission

Someone here mentioned having a place without stairs, which would really be especially helpful. Another thing to consider is a stair lift or other type of elevator. Of course there's also another option of putting the patient's room downstairs. Years ago I knew someone who could no longer do stairs and she moved her bedroom downstairs into a sunroom porch. However, I noticed she eventually ended up sleeping in her chair. It must've been easier for her to breathe being so heavy as she was around 4-500 pounds. I've actually tried to sleep sitting up and there's a gravitational pulling down on my chest and  other areas and I actually breathe much easier laying down or at least slightly reclined. 

There are different conditions that cause people to avoid stairs, But there are ways around having to tackle them. 

A place with no stairs would be great. It's must be hard for him to go up and down them all day, not to mention the chance of falling.

And the grunting...my Mom has Dementia and did this anytime she exerted herself. She now gets upset when they use a bloodpressure cuff when it startes to squeeze her arm. Like its causing lots of pain.

Maybe you should look into a stair chair for ur steps. The stress of moving may not be a good thing for either of you. In todays market u may not be able to sell ur house at a good price. Is ur husband on oxygen? When the heart isn't working at capacity oxygen isn't getting to the lungs and other organs of the body. Just getting out of a chair can be hard. Have his pulse ox checked. If below 95 he isn't getting enough oxygen.