How do people prevent yeast from forming in the folds?

The doctor has prescribed a cream to be used if the yeast forms and Nyastin powder to be used every day twice a day but still sometimes yeast forms. Usually it's when I'm between caregivers and I'm struggling to keep up with the daily schedule of caring for two children plus my grandma but othertimes it's because she's cold when it's hot and she sweats. Has anyone else found anything that works well to prevent yeast growing?

16

Answers

23 year nurse here with most of it working with the elderly and now I have my own mother to take care of with dementia. You can buy clotrimazole cream and put a thin layer of it in the folds. It's advertised as athlete's foot cream but the clotrimazole is that old cream we women used to be forced to use for our womanly yeast infections. If the rash is very bad, use a thin layer twice daily. If it's minor a thin layer daily until it goes away will work wonders. The best thing to do is keep it dry. I don't recommend powders because sweat makes it into muck then it does more damage than good. After it's healed, you can try using petroleum jelly as a skin protectant. When using the clotrimazole cream you should see a change in about two days and if after two days you don't see a change, it could be something else (like cellulitis) and you'll need an antibiotic, so you'll need to see the doctor. If you see any blisters, stop immediately and go to the doctor. That's a sign of an allergy, but of all my years in nursing I've never seen a patient with a clotrimazole allergy before.

Hopefully all is well!

M88

So, how's it going? Any better? Hope so!!!

M88

Another good soap for washing yeast infected areas is Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap. It can be found at natural type stores like Whole Foods and in most larger grocery stores that have a natural/organic section.

Once dry, place a piece of t-shirt material, cut to a band like shape, and place it under her breasts. Check in 2 hours, see if she's perspired and if wet, change it for another one.
I have a feeling it will help. Tea Tree oil kills fungus and bacteria. Do not use full strength, test on her skin somewhere else, check for allergic reaction.

Castille Soap, Rite Aid, with tea tree oil it it to wash that area will help. Dilute one part soap to 5 parts water. Gentle enough to private area, will not sting or burn. Yeast likes that area as well.

My Mother always got yeast problems under her breasts and besides keeping them clean with soap and water and dry,I used to put some baby powder on a washcloth and pat under them with it and every now and then we had to use the nystatin but you don't want to use it all the time.Good luck finding what works best for you.

I have found that the dollar store anti fungal cream works well, gently wash the area with mild soap and water, pat dry, and apply twice a day while the rash is red and angry, and once the rash has cleared, just "a little dab will ya" after your daily wash. Cheap and affective. As others have written, folks who are overweight and have those dastardly skin folds, are susceptible to yeast overgrowth. We all have yeast on our skin, it's when our ph is off, our skin isn't kept clean, or has repeated bouts of sweatiness and rubbing, or if the person is diabetic, that yeast can become problematic. It must be a situation of consistently checking and treating, or the cycle will continue, and it is uncomfortable for the patient! Unchecked yeast infections become raw and painful very quickly. We had this problem with my Mom, who while she had lost considerable weight, those pesky folds of loose skin were still present, plus she was a mild diabetic, on Hospice care, and bedbound. Summertime was the worst, but we figured out quickly, that this was the most effective, yet inexpensive way to manage it.

I used the Desenex with 2% miconazole on diapers, and under skin folds. Works great. Just clean the skin with baby wipes, dry, add powder.

NYDaughter - I'm glad you mentioned that amber colored mouthwash. I read several times that it is a great help with yeast under the breasts. I tried it, but in the end since my rash was not yeast it didn't "cure" me. Still - at a minimum it has antiseptic properties and can help with preventing a itch rash from becoming infected. If I remember right it didn't sting so much as it tingled and gave a clean feeling.

Buy a whole bunch of 100% cotton bras without underwire or exposed elastic. Hanes and Fruit of the Loom make several styles that come in a variety of colors.

Goldbond Medicated Powder contains menthol and zinc oxide both of which have anti-fungal properties.

I've read that old fashioned amber mouthwash splashed underneath boobs a couple of times a day relieves the itch. Some mouthwash contains anti-fungals like menthol, thymol and eucalyptol.

A good health food store that sells personal hygiene products may have other mineral powders with anti-fungals in them.