How often should elderly change clothes? Underclothes? Outer clothes?

29

Answers

1 2 3
Clothing should be changed daily. Often seniors don't want to shower daily but you can encourage them to do this by telling them how nice they small after a shower. And again when they put on fresh clothes. Encourage them to smell really good and have other family members tell them the same thing..

Dana if you feel showers are needed more often you can request that. I did that with my uncle and there was no problem. They showered him whenever they had time. I didn't care as long as he was clean. He had a catheter but the other parts of his body were too stinky for a once a week shower.

My experience has been that assisted living does showers once a week.

Having a European - style bidet would be So Nice, when we get around to remodeling our 1950's bathroom I would love to replace the double vanity with single one, and the bidet. However I suspect the drain needs to be as large as a toilet one. An alternative to bidet, is a hotel style long hosed handheld shower nozzle. Have mom stand in shower with no clothing on lower half, and shower her down.

Wow! Every day showers!! I feel lucky when I con Mom into doing it once a week and/or before a doctor's appointment.

Malloryg8r: The "smelliness" comes from the fact that elders just can't bathe well and they have lost the olfactory sense.

Like the bidet idea. I'm big on wipies. I use the big baby ones. Nice and thick. My Mom has some incontinence but can still use the toilet.

I guess that would vary from person to person based on their past habits. I would however change daily, both under clothes and outer clothes. If she is incontinent or sweats a lot she would have an odor. Outer clothes get soiled with food or liquid spills. I agree with the above, every one likes to receive compliments on how nice they look. Just because someone has dementia, it doesn't mean they can neglect their hygiene. I am well aware of difficult behaviors with dementia and that some people don't like bathing or changing clothing. You just deal with each episode as it comes and redirect, ask again later and then bathe and change clothing when she's agreeable.

My mum is in a nursing home and does not change her clothes, I change her when I visit, approx every other day.The staff help sometimes but have 40 people. to care for and can't remember what everyone is wearing. She also neatly replaces dirty clothes in the wardrobe and cupboards given half a chance so I have to check that as well.

All this is making me think of having both a bidet and a walk in bath installed in our home before hubby and I get too old to care anymore!

1 2 3