How much time is left?

My mom was admitted to hospice care officially two days ago, after not eating for three days and barely drinking for two. She has now not ate in 5 days and not drank in 4 (occasional ice chip for dry mouth). The last 24 hours she has mostly slept but during the night she has developed a fever. I was expecting her body to start cooling as her final days approached. Is a fever common also?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Huddlo, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you big virtual {{{hugs}}}.

"Nothing in life will call upon us to be more courageous than facing the fact that it ends. But on the other side of heartbreak is wisdom." ~ film, I Wish I Was here.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

So sorry for your loss Huddlo.   This is a very difficult thing to go through.   Your mom is at peace now.

Huddlo, so sorry for your loss.

Awe, I'm sorry Huddlo. 
I'm glad your mom doesn't have to fight this anymore.....peace

Huddlo (((((((hugs))))) and my deepest condolences

Huddlo, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad, though, that you were able to come here and get some advice and answers from those who have been through it.

There's nothing that can prepare us for the loss of a parent, and losing your Mom is especially hard. Sending you big hugs....we know how hard this is. Take your time grieving, and don't let anyone tell you in the coming weeks/ months that you should be "over it" - this is a different process for everyone. Grieve in your own time and handle things as you need to. You're always welcome to come back here and vent or talk to us if you need to as well. Many of us have been there.

Huddlo, I'm so sorry for your loss. Be comforted by good memories.

My mom passed away today at 12:15pm. She is free from the dreadful hold of dementia. I will miss her terribly.

Hang in there. The hospice nurse was off with my mom. She had said she had two weeks to live and then proceeded to count down. She was on vacation having insisted my mother had two weeks to live but died within 4 days in my eyes but her body gave out in 5. The process for me went very fast once it started. Just talk with her, let her know everyone is going to be ok. Hold her hand a lot. Reassure her that you know she is tired and that it's ok to go be with whomever is closest to her instead of with you. It's not easy. The important part is she needs to know that everyone will be ok. That makes the letting go easier.

I sat with my mom until the end. She passed away as I expected despite the nurses still insisting on it being days not hours. I called them and said it would be hours due to her breathing through the night with labor loud breathing. They insisted she still had a week left but they would stop by midafternoon. I called my dad who was at work saying there were hours. I was right, 3 hours later she died peacefully. It was hard yet peaceful.

Just take it easy on yourself and her. Let things progress as they will. It's really hard to watch but stay strong and positive. She's so lucky to have you guys with her and for you to be so patient with her.

1 2 3