How much sleep is normal for a 93 year old?

12

Answers

Yes, I really wonder, but it is up to the individual 93-year-old how much rest is enough.

My Moms 92 and once off her aggitation medication due to being in the next stage, shes been so very happy!! The only problem is that I had her awake 20 hours a day and I was exhausted, I needed a break. We just started a nightly pill and she sleeps beautifully again 12-14 hours a night. I keep music on for her 2 hours in the afternoon and she usually stays awake with her feet moving.

thank you jeannegibbs... I am thinking about that!

Jaye, if it is just the pills that are a problem at this point, I wonder if hiring someone to come in for a couple of hours a day, perhaps to help her get up, get dressed, take her pills, etc. would be a better alternative that assisted living for now.

I have been wondering this same thing... My 86 yr old Mom seems to want to sleep all the time. ALL I ever hear is I am just so tired.... She is on an antidepressant and a cardiac med however I have a TERRIBLE time getting her to take her meds. My Father died 3 yrs ago already and I know she misses him terribly (I do too) thus the anti-depressant. However none of it does any good if she does not take it!!! Can someone give me ideas to help remind her about her meds... I have put up notes for her(which she ignores) they are set up in planers. I am feeling VERY much like it is time to think of assisted living my concern is it costs so much and it will disorient her. thanks everyone, take care...

My 93yo mother spends about 10 to 12 hours in bed at night, and does not nap during the day. I don't know what is "normal".

Well, it depends on the person.
Actually, old people need less time to rest than adults..so it takes arount 5 to 6 hours very often displeased by insomnia.

Like the others have said, it really depends on the person. My FIL seems to be able to follow the schedule and join in activities during the day at the memory care unit where he lives. Others there nod off during activities. When he was still in assisted living, it was the same thing. He would be up and about, and others were snoozing away on chairs or in their wheelchairs.

Thank goodness my mom sleeps relatively well. The goes to bed most nights by 7 because she is so tired. I don't know if she really sleeps then because she is up and down every 20 to 30 minutes or so to walk around, check doors go to bathroom etc. Finally about 9 she settles in for the night, but up to bathroom about once an hour until 7 or 8 in the morning.

All I see of this question is "How much sleep is normal for a 93 year old?" Was there more to it that I missed? This really varies tremendously, depending on many things. My 93-year-old MIL, who I cared for 24/7 for the last 20 months of her life, when Alzheimer's had led to dementia and she could not care for herself, slept a lot during the last six months or so, although she would still often get up multiple times during the night and wander. Lack of restful sleep was one of the most difficult conditions we both coped with during that time. When she woke, I would often make her warm milk or cocoa with a cookie or other light snack. This is such an individual thing, as are appetite, speech, and mood. Is your concern about too much or too little sleep?