I'm curious how many caregivers in this group either did see or currently see a professional therapist for guidance and support?

If so what did or do you gain from it.

25

Answers

1 2 3
Another hand here too. I've had to stop for a period since my insurance changed and my dr. isn't on the plan so have to find a new one. So something else to pile on my plate. Ugh.....

Hand raised here, currently.

Of course I've been in therapy! I don't think I would still be sane if I hadn't gone to therapy...I needed to learn how to set and KEEP boundaries, how to speak up when I was in the process of being run over (which has happened so many times I can still see the tire treads across my body), how to say NO and mean it....I was a mess, always thinking I had to do anything and everything for everyone in my life. I felt guilty for even thinking of saying no or for trying to stand up for myself - especially when it came to my parents. I give therapy a two thumbs up award. But you have to find a good therapist, one that will hold you accountable for your actions and push you to grow. I've found that doctors are like shoes....you have to try a few on before you find one that fits! Good luck to you!

Yes I do see a therapist once a week to help cope with the stress of caring for my husband who suffers from end stage kidney failure, memory loss and other numerous health issues. Attending weekly therapy has allowed me to vent and share issues that I am feeling while watching my loved one, who was once very active, become a person I sometimes do not know. This has been very helpful for me to be able to cope with my care taking issues and has also allowed me some alone time from my daily care taking duties and be in the supportive care of a professional who understands what I am going through.

I have been on anti-depressants for years... i think mostly due to the verbal abuse over the years from the "X" and my mom..... now i have to take anit-anxiety drugs also. I tried the medical marijuana but it seems like it is too much of a depressant, but it does help with my fibromyalgia... go figure... My mom and pop and and my mom-in-law all need quite a bit of help,my parents are in denial about their health issues... won't use the oxygen... don't want to get addicted to oxygen for heavens sake. won't take the meds like they are supposed too. I am sure like the rest of yall go through. It makes it hard to get them to be even half compliant on doc reccomendations and perscriptions.

I was a therapist so I find that most of the ones that I try give me the same advice I would give myself, lol. Everyone of them has been much younger than I, so I have been seeing a psychiatrist who manages my anxiety and anti depression meds. That seems to be the best solution for me.

Is this a trick question?

lol

When my mother was dying I needed a psychiatrist. I loved that he was clinically detached because it was my problem, not his. I wanted to understand and fix my problems without drugs. I'm not sure how many old-fashioned, conservative psychiatrists like mine are even left out there today. I think it's perverse how insurance companies will pay for drugs but not talk therapy.

Yes!! Off and on for many years. As a "survivor" of severe abuse (my oldest brother, who is now deceased) and raised by a narcissistic, often very angry mother, I internalized ALL the family angst.
It took me several years and a lot of soul searching to decide to see someone and take meds, as needed.
I look at therapy as a way to have a listening. non-judgmental ear--no friend or family member wants/needs to hear what I have to say. It takes courage to go and hear what they tell you and then implement it. I'm not "there" yet, I still have a horrible relationship with my mother and I am still working on nightmares from my past abuse. I'll be 60 this year. Although my hubby still thinks I'm a mess, I would be SO MUCH WORSE without the help of both my psych dr and therapist.

I also have a wicked sense of humor and if they don't "get it" then I feel it's their loss :)). And yes, keep on laughing. It keeps me going. Christmas is almost over and I hope everyone was able to enjoy a little "peace" of it. God Bless

1 2 3