How long is Medicare likely to cover post-stroke rehab?

I realize coverage differs according to many factors, but just wondering if anyone might have some thoughts. My mother has Medicare/Oxford in NY State. She is almost on day 21 of being in sub-acute rehab after a stroke. Last week, we met with her "team" and the SW said she would probably be discharged at the end of June. She explained that Medicare covers 21 days at 100 percent, but then we'll have a co-pay of $142/day and then it costs $500 a day out of pocket. But today, her PT told me she is going to ask for a longer session per day with my mom (55 min vs 30 min) because she shows a lot of promise. We had a cryptic conversation over my mom's wheelchair in which I asked if that meant a longer stay and if Medicare would cover it plus extra PT time. The PT said she was going to look into it and was prepared to appeal if necessary. I'm completely confused about how this all works! My main concerns are: How long can she stay there and how much will everything cost? I left a message for the SW to get clarity on everything, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

20

Answers

It's all in the verbiage from the Therapist / Dr. There need to be a two way conversation that is specific with your wants and needs so the therapist and you are on the same page to get whomever the necessary care.

No, not liable. Here's the thing=they were kicking my mother out because they deemed her too well to stay there. We had put down a large chunk of change down on an AL. Then less than 48 hours after they said "mom, you can't stay at the NH," she suffered a stroke there!!

I know, but I believe they are liable when they discharge someone. Is that right? I know the hospitals are liable when they release someone.

First and foremost SNH's are businesses Thus, they run it as such.

What kind of liability does the SNF have in terms of discharging her? What if we need time to set her apartment up safely with a hospital bed and other equipment? Or what if she's on a waiting list for a bed at a long-term care facility?

xinabess: No, we did not have time for any appeal. Both my mom's adult kids (me, who was the primary, out of state caregiver moved in with her to Massachusetts from my Maryland home) and my brother who lives in California. We just had to lay a large chunk of money down on an AL, who had a room and that I had checked out 4 months prior.

I think the OT and the PT are generally the ones who have to go to bat for you in the appeal process. They have to say that there is a lot of progress being made and that further intense therapy (inpatient) will be worthwhile. And yes, the motivation on the part of the patient is very important. If she is just 'going through the motions' but not trying hard to do more every time, that makes a difference in what progress can be expected. Keep talking to the therapist, social worker and even administration. Administration has to tell you when medicare will quit paying, so you can make an informed decision on whether to keep your mother there or move her home or to another type facility. They have to tell you the exact day when it changes, otherwise, they cannot bill you for difference, or any additional costs. The maximum Medicare part A covers is 100 days per illness but it is very difficult to get that much coverage. You can get a lot of information at Medicare.gov website. But talking to your therapist, social worker and the administrators should get you the information you need. The whole process can be very convoluted. Good luck!

I'm so confused about how this all works. Llamalover, what happened when your mom was kicked out? Did you appeal or find another situation for her?

I get that Medicare only covers X amount of time in rehab and that SNH is a business. I don't quite get how much say I have in trying to challenge Medicare and the SNH if they seem to be kicking my mom out. If they discontinue OT and PT services, then what? My mom's speech/language therapist has already stopped providing services because she says my mom has recovered a lot in that department, which is true. Another issue is that my mom is resistant to all of it. She'll do the PT and OT, but she's not exactly the most compliant person. How much does that figure into all of this?

xinabess: The SNH is a business. The particular SNH my late mother was at (and we, as the family, wanted her to stay) was so slick that they had a family meeting...what a joke...the PT stayed all of one minute and said N (name withheld for privacy reasons) can walk xxx # of feet and then left the meeting! They were kicking my mother out. They were also kicking out another patient, who was a recent amputee and he didn't even have his prosthetic yet!

You may have to call the SHIIP line at 1-800-443-9354. (senior health insurance information program) run by Medicare. (free) You also may have to call Oxford supplemental to see if they cover the copay.