When a person is in the last stage of dementia, where they can't eat or drink; how long until the end?

My father in law is the person I speak of. He has been going down hill for a while, but we were notified yesterday that he can't swallow food or water, and if they try to feed him (which they have had to do) he chokes and aspirates. We live about 3 hrs away from him and go see him every other weekend.

19

Answers

Refusing food and drink my mother passed in 3 or 4 days. She was in no pain, just basically faded away.

jinglebts I am reading that book right now. It is fascinating reading isn't it?

My Mom passed away in May of this year and I have been seeking out this type of information.

Receiving nutrition is a huge factor to sustaining life. If you cannot swallow, the end IS near.

I found Patricia Pearson's book "Opening Heaven's Door" very interesting on that topic (" I wonder what they see as they are passing over and if it is their loved ones that have passed before?"). Tales of near-death experiences, knowing when a loved one far away has died, and interviews with palliative care nurses who say that many ppl ask "to go home", "is my passport current?", "when am I leaving?" ... fascinating, and helpful, stuff.

Some people prefer to die while alone in the room and actually send their loved ones out. My friends Mom told her to go ahead and take a shower and her Mom then passed away. My Aunt sent my cousins out for coffee, absolutely insisted they go, and passed away during her nap. I guess everyone is different. I wonder what they see as they are passing over and if it is their loved ones that have passed before? When my Dad passed on he had the most peaceful look on his face and that he finally knew the secret to it all. I will never forget that and wonder what he saw.

Katie, my Mom [97] has been doing the same thing, only eating a few bites of food for the past month, one or two tablespoons of this or that.... and less and less liquids. I am also amazed how my Mom keeps on ticking as she is so tiny and frail.

Joannes brings up a good point. I wish we had stayed with our mom through her ordeal but when we went to bed, she died alone.

My mum died on Aug 28th, 2001. She lasted abt four or five days w/o eating and drinking. She was in the palliative care wing of the Victoria Hospital in BC. We gave her swabs for dryness in her mouth. She died while she was being bathed. Only I was there at the time. So sad. But I wouldn't have wanted her to live in her condition -- multiple myeloma, very painful.

Yes, everyone is different. No food, for a few weeks. NO fluids... 3 to 5 days. When Hospice comes in 'round the clock', then you have 3 days. Or that is how it was here in Florida for my husband. Will be one year ago, in November.

It seems like my Mom has only been eating a few bites of food for several months now...but the amount is less and less, and now she is not drinking her ensures or cranberry juice very much. i am amazed at how little she has lived on this long. ..She can still swallow. My friend who just lost her Mom said the swallowing difficulty is what changed 3 days before her Mom went.