How long can my severely handicapped Father be safely left unattended?

My father is 90 years old, has severely arthritically crippled hands, can't even move himself around in bed. I know that he needs regular hydration and turning to avoid bed sores. So how long can I safely leave him on his own, assuming I make sure he drinks all he can before I leave him to run errands?

14

Answers

Thank you all for your responses. We've come to the realization that he is better off staying in the nursing home where he has been since the beginning of December.

dlh3354 --

Your explanation seems more caring and rational than my hospice social worker's challenge that the police would have me incarcerated for neglecting an elder person (my husband.) When the time came that I knew my husband could not be left alone, I saw to it that someone was always with him.

NEVER, EVER!!!! If he is left alone and something happened you may very well be charged w/ neglect. If you were in his shoes how long would you want to be left vulnerable and helpless?

I love that one Jeannegibbs! Excellent take on it.

How long would you leave a helpless baby in a crib while you ran out to the store?

Zero seconds!

Do you have a neighbor who couldsit with your dad while you ran errands? Even if you just had a teenager in the house, someone there in case of an emergency. Good luck

Bob's social worker threatened me with police action if I left him alone. I later checked the law here in Florida, and learned that the social worker was either uninformed or lying. The law here is against intentionally leaving a person alone, knowing it will harm them. However, I believe a nursing home is the best solution.

In my opinion it is too much of a risk to ever leave him alone. There could be a fire or other emergency at the house when you are out. I have friends who went out shopping on a Saturday afternoon and came back to their house ablaze. Their dog perished in the fire. You could be detained by weather, or a car accident. A friend of mine left her Girl Scout troop for what was supposed to be 5 minutes to go down the block to pick something up and wound up in a car accident so I know that things like that can happen. In the case of the Girl Scouts there are always 2 adults when they go on an outing, so the kids were never in peril. I have taken care of a son who is developmentally disabled for 26 years and before his death, my elderly dad for three and I would never leave either one alone. Try to find some respite care. Believe me, I understand your need to get out and do things but your dad deserves to be safe as well. As the saying goes better safe than sorry.

There are a couple of options in this case and without knowing specifics about your dad, seems like 24x7 adult supervision may be necessary. That said, churches, other community run services, friends, other family, or private duty home care can provide you relief. For the cost of a nursing home you can get A LOT of in home care to give you the break you need. If resources are an issue, call your local county office and social worker and get evaluated for county based services. If your dad is a veteran ask to speak to a veteran service officer and see if they have options for him, either a veteran home, or the Aid and Attendance benefit.
Technology could potentially be a short term fit. Make sure he has a emergency response system and or install a "nanny" cam that would allow you to see your dad while out.
The fastest solution is to call a home care agency and set up services. That will also give you time to explore your other options.
Good luck.