How long can the effects of a bad UTI continue to take control over a mind?

My grandmother recently suffered a bad fall resulting in a broken neck and back. She was recovering well until she suffered from a UTI hospitalizing her for a week. Since then, her mind has still not came back fully. She was starting to show early signs of dementia, just telling you the same thing 4 or 5 times in a discussion, but it has become increasingly worse. She can't tell the difference between a phone and a tv remote. When she is told or asked a simple question, she seems to always answer with "I don't know" or "I forgot about that". I asked her dr about it and he said very rarely does a UTI create permanent deficits like this. Has anyone else expireanced something like this with a loved one? How long have you seen the effects of a bad UTI continue to take control over a mind? It's been almost 2 weeks since she has been treated and returned to "normal ". What should my next step be?

28

Answers

1 2 3
Her broken back and neck were taken care of immediately. She was hospitalized for these original breaks for almost 3 weeks. The UTI was a after effect, of what I believe was a lingering one since before the fall. And, yes, we were extremely shocked to find out that her neck will never heal, that was never proposed to us by any of her doctors or therapist. We knew she would be in the C collar for awhile, we never anticipated life time.

Lorilassick: That what I told you. The broken back and neck should have been the FIRST PROTOCOL OF CARE! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED STAT! Of course she had bigger problems. Why weren't you prepared to hear it? I don't understand why you were shocked since you knew she had broken her back and neck!

Well, it's been a few weeks now since the UTI. Grandma has came back to pretty much herself at this point. A follow up test said there was no UTI lingering, we just had to wait and see. Now her mind is "back to normal" but we have bigger problems. A recent follow up CAT scan delivered bad news that her fractured displaced breaks in C1 and C5 of her neck will never heal properly and she will always need the support of a C collar for the rest of her life. Not something we were prepared to hear and very hard to accept. She can do surgery to fuse the bones together, but at her age (84) we're wondering if the pros out weight the cons.

Get her tested for Alzheimer's asap

Your loved one may benefit from getting tested for dementia & Alzheimers asap.

Right, JoAnn29!

I was going to say the same thing. Was she checked for a concussion.
Problems from a concussion can last a year. Your primary should check for another UTI. They don't always clear up.

The UTI is the least of your worries for her. A broken back and neck? Good grief! Get her some assistance.

To keep from having to take my Aunt to the doc everytime she showed signs of a UTI, her doctor gave me some sterile specimen bottles and the small packets that you use to clean the area. I was then able to get a specimen from her and take it to the doc that day without my Aunt needing to go along. I would always take her temperature, her heart rate and her oxygen level to include with the specimen. Made things so much easier.

My Mom was down for nearly two weeks after a UTI. She had difficulty walking and not falling.

1 2 3