How can I get mom to stop calling me all day from assisted living?

Mom lives in a assisted living home which she dearly loves. The problem is, when they don't have any activities that she is interested in, she spends the day on the phone calling me. It had stopped for a good while but now she has started calling me every 5-10 minutes to tell me what time it is. Yesterday she started calling at 9 am. and didn't stop till she went to bed at 9 pm. They are installing a new elevator and that has a lot of the activities she usually goes to on hold for the next several weeks. If I don't answer, she will call my cell and if I don't answer that call, she begins calling several of my elderly neighbors wanting them to come up to my house and tell me to answer the phone. This was a problem before and the activities she was involved in took care of it but now they are on hold for the next several weeks and I cant get anything done for answering the phone. Any ideas how to get her to stop this while her activities are on hold?

22

Answers

1 2 3
my mum lives alone 4 minutes drive from me. She calls me every 20 mins some days. even when I have been around and taken her out or my daughter has been around She has Alzheimers and has someone going in at tea time to make her ,her tea but she just wants me?
She will not join any social groups, she dislikes the one call a day from carers I'm at my wits ends!
Have tried ignoring most calls but still speaking to her three /four times a day and see her most days
Any advice

My father also incessantly calls me when I am at work and on the weekends with the same message every time. I now put my cell phone on silent and that does help, but when I see how many times he has called, it makes my heart sink. I know that he is fine in the AL, but it is still painful. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Def change your number, what you are telling is completely ridiculous to put up with. .
As I tell my mother, you can play all the games you want, but I'm not playing with you. The only way to not get in the game is for her to have no way to contact you.
Rest assured if there were a real emergency, the AL would get a hold of you, they don't want to make any decisions that might crop up in an emergency.

I could not get my 69 yo sister to stop answering the phone. She lived 2 hocks from Mother and mother would call constantly, even if my sister told her she was bathing. Mother would call her several times, when she was out at supper. Then, my sister would call me and complain.

I would say "Do not answer the phone." "Leave the phone in the car." Etc.

My sister was totally disabled from RA and I am sure that the stress killed her. She was buried one day before her 70th birthday. As for mother, she will be 96 and is living happily ever after in the NH. She does not call me and she cannot hear, any more.

Thank you sandwich42plus, xx

Rustydee, you are going to have to get creative to claim your sanity back.
Don't answer the phone just because it's ringing. You can control this much.
You have to put boundaries in place and honor them yourself.....or you will be in the home next door to mom!

Let me know if you find the answer, Mine does the same, she calls me up to 19 times a day to tell me she's ill, she's been doing it for 5 years now! I had her stay a week last week she was fine ( well as well as she can be at 95 and now she's home she's started again, it's doing my head in ..if I answer she's moaning and screaming she's ill,.. It's getting me down, and I jump whenever the phone rings now .. She has at least one caller a day. And spends hours a day on the phone to others, .. :(

This may not work for everyone but when my mom started doing this I finally started telling her, after the third or fourth call, that she had used up all her calls for that day. She would still call back a couple of times, and I would just remind her, Mom, I'm sorry, but you have already used up all your calls and hang up. This actually worked. On a side issue, I would be very concerned about the elevator situation at the assisted living facility; do they have patients on upper floors that could be trapped in the event of fire without this elevator? If so, they need to be reported. This cannot go on.

Voice mail,even on cell phones, can have amazing features, like filtering all her calls straight to voicemail, or having a special ringtone for her number (even "No ring"!). So I bet somewhere there is a phone that could send her calls to a special voicemail recording from you as a reply. What does she want you to say when she tells you what time it is? You could record "Hello [pause] Hi, Mom [pause] Thanks, but I'm busy right now, I'll call back. Love you!"

If necessary, you could get a whole separate voicemail to do that.

Good luck!

My mother calls up to 40 times/day most days of the week, the calls were blocked and went straight to vm, as it is disruptive to deal with that at the office. As the only person who has been there for her in the family, especially in these later years when she really needed help, she has turned on me and leaves excoriating messages. Visits (now far fewer) with her start out ok, but then she starts to show aggression and I have to calmly leave. She needs help paying bills (I have helped w/everything while working full time until she became so angry 3 months ago), she is 90 and very independent and will not move to assisted living. Her home is probably the best place for her to be, but she is suspicious of all caregivers/outsiders, the neighbors are not close, and starts a fight/insults me each time I see her. Friends really don't like to go there with me. This week I changed phone carriers to save $ and have a new number, but I will inform her of it, since there is no one else. A conservatorship is not affordable for me and she would fight it tooth and nail. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

1 2 3