How do you stop an unwanted visitor?

A man, who claims to be a friend of mom's, is visiting her only at meal times. She is in nursing home and she is on puréed food. She can feed her self with encouragement. My aunt has sent him there, basically, because she doesn't think she is getting adequate help. Mom will be placed in hospice care next week.
What do I do? I don't like this guy. I'm not found of my aunt. She's always been manipulative and money moochers.

37

Answers

1 2 3 4
Just mentioned here, if he's not doing anything wrong and you spoke to authorities, then there's really nothing you can do except to leave him alone as long as he continues behaving appropriately. However, just remember that if anyone tries to make up something, video surveillance does not lie. Therefore, if anyone tries to make any false accusations against him they better prove it. This man has just as much legal rights as everyone else. If anyone were to harass him and try to cause him to leave, he can probably go get a lawyer and even go to court and win. That's why you really don't want to mess with someone who's really not doing anything wrong. I can tell you that sometimes people we don't like become wrongful targets, just because it happens to be a coincidence that we cross their paths. If you really don't want to be around this person, then just keep your distance but at the same time be civil. Then again, maybe it would be a very good idea to get to know the person personally. You might actually be surprised to find that some people you don't like may actually be your dearest friends in disguise.

Just have the staff chase the unwelcome visitor away!

Usually, whoever is the POA can ask to have certain persons's names placed on file as disallowed to visit.
However...
---Short staff conditions epic in facilities = not enough people to feed patients,
---much less figure out if any visitors are banned, unless someone made a huge scene, such that staff remarkably remembered the person enough to tell them to leave.
Might be better to learn:
1. if the relative really instigated that guy to visit; or,
2. if the guy thinks he's gonna score a "free" meal himself; or,
3. if he is there for some other reasons [which might be OK...or not].
Help feeding Mom maybe's a good thing; it's fairly common for staff to over-estimate patient's abilities. Unless there's more to it...like manipulating Mom to get something, be it a "free" meal, or new legal papers signed, or a piece of the estate.
Without more answers about why the guy is there, hard to tell.
If he's there actually helping with Mom's care, staff usually appreciate that help...as long as the visitor keeps behaving properly.
And yes...mealtimes in facilities are like herding cats. It's nuts!
Add to the ones milling in the dining areas, the ones needing fed in hallways near nurses' stations, and the bed-bound patients...OY!
Staff [the ones doing hands-on care], at both acute and long-term care facilities, are chronically under-staffed, under-paid, and over-worked. Friends and relatives who want to come help with meals, etc., are thankfully appreciated!

Midchild64, curious if you had asked your Mom about this gentleman, and if she had known him from the past? And if your Mom had mind that he was visiting and helping during meal times?

Are you trying to resolve some of your own "issues" with your aunt? I had a friend who didn't want her Mom to have visitors as her way of "getting back at her family."

You're welcome.

How to stop unwanted visitor.
Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I have spoken with SW, Omsbudsman, 2 attorneys and the police. Nothing can be done. If he becomes unruly, the facility can ask him to leave. He doesn't. I've tried.

Thank you for your feedback.

Tell the MANAGER of said NH that this man is banned.

well since you don't care for your aunt, I guess it would be hard to find out why she is sending this man. And why isn't your aunt visiting, maybe she can't drive or whatever. IF you are capable of visiting during meal times, make it a point to show up and stay at a distance to see how things are going. And most of the nursing homes do the best with the resources available. sometimes they are short staffed and the aids help some of the residents make sure they eat. I visit with my dad (but I am working) but there is a man than comes in every day to be with his wife and sometimes he helps to feed her and other times not. I would think that if your mother didn't like this man, she would be showing signs of distress with him being around. don't make a hasty judgment or it might back fire on you, your aunt might just say you are not welcome there. good luck

1 2 3 4