Chin waxing. How do you know if it's still safe?

Among many things I never knew about my mother, it turns out she used to have her chin waxed - not very often, just as part of an occasional facial that she had up until a couple of years ago (she's now 89). She wants to look nice next week and has asked me to make an appointment. Gulp! Can an elder's delicate skin really take this treatment? Would it be better to get out the tweezers and somehow overcome my MASSIVE embarrassment to do this for her? She doesn't look like the bearded lady or anything, but I can't pretend to her that the few long whiskers aren't there...

26

Answers

1 2 3
OMG!!! This is hilarious! I know it's an old thread but it's exactly what I needed after having a sad visit with mom - not much time left, I think. But I have to add my story. My mom has always been chin hair obsessed. In the past six months she's pretty much let it go. Then a couple of weeks ago hubby and I were visiting and mom says to me " I have this long hair on my chin that is bothering me - could you pluck it"? I was suddenly 12 years old! Eewweewe - gross! So I say "no mom, I don't have my glasses with me, I wouldn't be able to see what I'm doing". So without missing a beat she looks at my husband and says "do you think you could do it"? I swear he turned pale on the spot and actually started to gag! I was still laughing my ass off when he bolted from the room! I can hardly wait to go tell him one of you is such a tough chick you practically give your mom a Brazilian! Soooo funny!

By electric razors, do you mean those electric yanking things that pluck the hair in great gobs? I have one and I love it. I have a new one with a gentle setting. (Not that I now have gobs of hair to pluck or anything.) And just FYI, plucking doesn't make the hair grow back stronger. In fact, over time, it weakens the root.

Remember those 30s movie stars who plucked all their eyebrow hair and then discovered to their horror that, when that fad changed [[gasp!]], they'd have to draw their eyebrows on forever? I feel as if underarm hair ever came back into style I'd have to by little wigs or something, as years of waxing have made me completely bald there. Ah dignity!

Ah yes, dignity comes first!

daredtocare, I was also told the same advice when I had electrolysis. It took me a year of visits because I had plucked and used Nair cream causing it to come back stiffer each time. Shaving is best because it doesnt upset the root and cause it to come back like prickers! haha. The more you pluck or wax the stronger the hair returns, like metal spikes! I had a neighbor across the street who asked me where I went and then she had electrolysis too. Because she never plucked, she only bleached her moustache, she was done in like 6 visits!
Countrymouse, I have a remington mens shaver for my Mom. I plug it in to charge it at night and use it for her every morning. It has 3 round shaver blades on it. I use a real (dull) razor on her bumcrak, lol. Lovely conversation huh.

Dared it's the rogue whiskers that get to me. There you are, all made up (ok not often but…) and feeling a million dollars, then you get home and realise people have been gazing in fascination not at your exceptional good looks but at the wiggly worm that has taken up residence on your chin or (aarggh) upper lip. I have one that I SWEAR grows from 0 to 1 inch in a day, Fu Manchu style, just under the point of my chin. Humph. I blame the mother…

Shaving, eh? What, blade or electric? All other tips welcome too!

My mother hadn't ever asked me to pluck her brows or shave her. Now I am feeling guilty...
I do buy her nice clothes, and I just got her a new wig that looks lovely...but we never go anywhere except to the Dr. and we can barely make it there.
Should I be doing more?

(Looks at my own horrid bleachwater hands:(

I have a girldriend who is an aesthetician in N.Y. Five hundred dollar facial kind of gal. I was shcoked when she told me they actually shave their clients routinely. The apparatus looks more like a straight razor. She mentioned what a taboo women consider shaving their face to be. And also the myth that shaving makes hair grow back thicker or more bristly.
She said shaving is not only the simplest way to get rid of unwanted facial hair but serves as an excellet exfoliation process. Ever notice how much better a man looks just after a fresh shave?
This was by far the best beauty secret she has given me, and there have been quite a few.

Of course eyebrows have to be plucked or waxed, but for the rest just shave it. I mean assuming it is safe for your moms skin. I know how frail they can be:/

I have been shaving (yes, my face, ssshhhhhh:) instead of waxing, for months now. I can't believe how well it is working out.
Really, what is it with the face fuzz after menopause? Grrrr.

Countrymouse, yes, the nurses/aides should know better, and about a lot of things too, they just are in such a hurry all the time I think they grow cold with time, I really do. Hope all goes well, what a journey we are on.

RR if she hadn't looked so guilt-stricken already I might have slapped her (and been frog-marched straight out of the department, I suppose…) - but why oh why don't they warn nurses about this DURING their training???

Hmm, good point about making hygiene much easier. Can't wait for THAT phase…!

HAHAHA Countrymouse, how'd you like that? You may get through life not doing yourself but it makes a much easier job on your clean ups for Mom, lol.
Just get an electric razor, its soooo simple, I do moms face every morning, it grows so fast. Oh and on those ECG pads, when they did that to mom on one of them, I said "Leave, I will do it!" I was so mad!! I am a huge advocate for her, cant have anything hurt her, or it hurts me too, Hey good luck!

1 2 3