How do you keep organized? I'm new to caring for my grandmother...

I'm now in charge of caring for my grandmother who is on Medicaid. Since she doesn't speak English, I'm going to be in charge of everything related to her health, finances, living conditions, etc. I'm a bit nervous, and one of the things I'm concerned about is how to keep organized. I already am writing down her medications, doctors, but things are getting unruly. What information should I be keeping as I care for my grandmother day-to-day? Do you have any tips on how to stay organized? Right now I don't know what I don't know. Thank you...

15

Answers

I make paper copies because it’s easier for me. I like paper lol
I like to flip back and see when I last bought certain supplies and make notes.
But the scanning is something my helper and I have been discussing doing on an annual basis.
I live a couple of hours away from my LO. I try to keep my ‘current’ notebook with me so I can more easily respond to issues as they occur.
I also keep a lot of info on my phone in notes section. Probably a bit redundant.
I want to insure that if something should happen to me that others can seamlessly take over.
I don’t always remember (three years later) why I made certain decisions so a quick note reminds me.
I think whether you carry in a binder or just have online is a personal preference. In my mom’s area internet access or phone access was iffy. So I developed my notebook as s result. 
Reply to 97yroldmom

97yroldmom That's smart. You've made paper copies, or scanned to a computer?
Reply to pkpp1233

Pkpp
Wow, this is a great template
Thanks for Sharing.

Over the years I’ve noticed many receipts fade. As a result I’ve started copying them.
Reply to 97yroldmom

Not sure if helpful for others here, but I found a reasonable document template online: springwell.com/docs/Resources/Caregiver_Notebook.pdf
Reply to pkpp1233

Thanks so much, GardenArtist. My uncle is starting on that right now so I didn't have it listed. But I'll post here for other folks too:

- bills/expenses. snap a picture, keep original papers in file.
- changes in medication, doctors notes, blood pressure / stats, daily wellness, etc. i'll post this into a binder or spreadsheet.
- important upcoming appointments and dates to remember on a calendar. i'll add this to an online calendar.
- list of phone numbers and names for providers. i'll post this into a binder or spreadsheet.
- list of investments (stocks, bonds, etc). add information / passwords to a spreadsheet and backup.

Anything missing here? Should I be carrying all this around with me in a binder as well?
Reply to pkpp1233

When I had time, I used spreadsheets for all medical expenses. When tax time rolled around, all I had to do was print them out and they were ready for input into medical expense calculations.

I haven't seen any mention of income from investments, if there are any. If so, I would also create a spreadsheet (password protected) with data on holders of stocks, bonds, etc., along with contact info, account numbers, etc. And be sure to print it out. When my computer took a long vacation, I had to have all the data on my hard drive backed up b/c I couldn't access it once the computer crashed.

I also keep all the investment data in my annual tax binder, along with expenses and other relevant data.

Thanks rocketjcat. That's super smart. My list is getting much better now:

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

Is there anything else? Do you use any tools besides a paper binder to track this?
Reply to pkpp1233

Also, I take photos of the items I buy my LO on my phone and keep them, just in case they get misplaced. This way they are easier to track and she can get reimbursed, if necessary. Some places may not have a problem with this, but, many do. And, remember to mark her name in all her clothes. I keep a Sharpie in my purse for this.
Reply to Sunnygirl1

Have you changed her address for mail to come to your house? That will make bills etc a lot easier to manage.
Also once a year she/you should be getting a statement from social security with the an monthly benefit. Perhaps yearly pension statements too. Make sure you keep them. She may need to file income taxes so keep anything related to that.
Keep a list of phone numbers of the charge nurses desk, social worker, dietician and put them in your phone. I also write down all the names of the cnas and Lpns so I can get to know them by name. These are going to be your allies.
I usually bring a small steno pad in my purse and write a simple dated notation when I’m there like “doing well but tired”. “Spit out meds”. “Great day!” or notes if she had fallen etc. It’s amazing how all the days run into each other if you don’t take a few notes.
Reply to rocketjcat

sunnygirl11 - that's helpful, thanks. So I should primarily be tracking and organizing:

- bills/expenses
- changes in medication, doctors notes, blood pressure / stats, etc
- important upcoming appointments on a calendar.

Look right?
Reply to pkpp1233