My father-in-law has fallen 3 times because the walker gets away from him on the floors. What to do?

Have patience my friends!
I understand your frustrations because I am now an oldie with a walker!
So often, our children who have grown up with us as their parents, "being the boss and know-it-alls", have a very difficult time understanding that we seniors now need as much help as a young child.
Don't assume we will know after being told once...show us, test us, make us demonstrate that we know how, that we understand what you told us. Don't mince words...use the Nike moto - JUST DO IT! (in a loud voice preferably).
After months of using a "roller walker", I have often forgotten to put on the brakes, something we should do every time we stop...that includes in the grocery store!
Every time my son accompanies me on an outing, he quietly says "Put on the brakes"....and I mean Every Time! It took several repetitions before it sunk in!
It is so important that each of you stop thinking that you are being disrespectful or condescending...JUST DO IT also applies to you.
Reply to Cece007
jacobsonbob May 10, 2021
Unfortunately, some older parents refuse to accept being told what to do by their children.
(3)
If you are resistant to the idea of the basic walker there are reverse brake rollators where the wheels are locked unless you squeeze the handle (rather than the opposite as is usual). Try googling
U Step 2 Walking Stabilizer with Reverse Braking System
MaryKathleen May 10, 2021
Thanks, never heard of that kind of rollator before. Learn something new every day.
(0)
Might want to switch to a standard walker. Wheels in back posts in front. My mom had several falls with her rollator. I wished I had changed it sooner. She couldn’t set the brakes and it would roll away. Elders have to have decent cognitive abilities to use rollators.
Reply to Windyridge
notgoodenough May 5, 2021
My mom HAD decent cognitive abilities, and I still can't tell you how many times she got either her PICC line or her oxygen tube tangled up in her rollator; the more she tried to get herself untangled, the worse she hog-tied herself. And she loved that stupid thing! She was thrilled it had a built-in seat - which she certainly didn't need inside the house! I finally just moved it down into my car for when I had to take her out somewhere, and made her use standard walkers around the house!
(3)
Make me the third to recommend a standard walker. I could never figure out why anyone would use an "old fashioned" 2 wheel walker (or one with no wheels) until my mom needed one, now I know that beyond being easier to control they are smaller, lighter, easier to fold up and bring with you, and they fit into smaller spaces and around furniture much more easily.

Standard walker with tennis ball feet is what my dad used for outpatient PT.
Reply to BL1982
jacobsonbob May 10, 2021
My father had that, too, and it seemed to work well for him. (My BIL is an avid tennis player, so there were always plenty of "retired" tennis balls available for this purpose.)
(3)
A regular walker with only two wheels would be safer.
Reply to RedVanAnnie

She should go back to a regular walker until he gets s new PT eval. I tried a roller walker for my mom with dementa. The PT and I noticed she bent over and the walker moved too far ahead of her. Plus she could not follow directions with the hand brakes.

He needs a walker with no wheels or just 2 wheels and on the legs of them put tennis balls to make the walker slide across the tile easier but won't get away from. Him like the wheels
Reply to bevthegreat

I would suggest getting an walking aid that's a little less spiffy. Try a two-wheel walker.
Reply to Tynagh

I think if you ask pretty much any physical therapist, they don't like the rollator walkers for that very reason. Go back to the old fashioned walker with tennis balls or skis on the legs.
Reply to Jagermeister