I live in NJ. I have been living with my invalid mother since March 2018 as her primary caregiver. I have not been able to work, as this is my full time job. I receive 16 hours of respite per week. I read that I can be paid even though we are within the 5 year lookback for Medicaid. If I can, what kind of legal document needs to be drawn up and does an attorney need to be involved? If this is so and I have proof of residence and responsibility since March can I get back pay?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Hi Cannella,
If a family member has enough funds to privately pay for care from savings, it is important to formally complete a Personal Care Agreement. Prior to receiving any payment, this document should be prepared to outline the services provided as well as the payment to be received. A personal care agreement can not be created retroactively to pay for past care.

The Caregiver Forum is a great place to come for answers. Additionally, I’d like to offer the following AgingCare articles as reference points:

To understand the purpose of and create a formal agreement between family members, please refer to:

If you would like further information regarding the decision to hire a home care company that fits your needs and your budget, please refer to:

If you are new to caregiving you will likely have future questions. There are many answers from experienced caregivers here. Don’t hesitate to come back and ask.
Helpful Answer (3)
Cannella Aug 2018
Thank you very much. Your answer is very informative. I only wish I had read the article on family caretaker in March! I will check out the websites.
Thanks again
This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter