How do we vet and find the right attorney?

It is so easy to connect with the wrong attorney. We have had our share of bad choices.

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
maybe because I was covering all the issues concerning my elderly mom....but yes its necessary to have a good specialist attorney in this area...

The post I created is "How do we vet and find the right attorney?" UncleDave
Why do you refer back to a discussion of swindling and scamming? please stick with how to vet and find the right attorney

Concerned, the post you created a while ago has a lot of answers and suggestions, but it's on a different topic.

For anyone who wants to read about her situation:

https://www.agingcare.com/questions/elderly-mom-swindled-by-organized-scammers-188474.htm?cpage=5

can anyone give me suggestions.....from what I've written above this question..??

An Estate Planning Practice Group may be a poor choice. One needs to determine if the goal is estate preservation VS and elder affairs lawyer who's goal is establishing all the stuff needed by elderly clients for example durable power of attorney and who handles family bills and caring for family members with Alzheimer's, medicare and Medicaid etc. Have they actually prepared fail elder waivers etc. Have they worked with Area agencies and are they known and respected by the AAAs

I agree with GardenArtist.

Although the NAELA list is a good place to start, it's no guarantee that the lawyer you choose is excellent at what they do. It just means that they can hang out a shingle saying they practice elder law. I chose one off that list, paid the consult fee & walked out feeling great that we had hashed everything out & had a wonderful care contract plan in the works. Weeks went by without any word from the lawyer. I was consumed with dealing with Mom's ever-burgeoning dementia behaviors & the next thing I knew a month & a half had gone by with no contact from the lawyer. I called the office & they sounded completely shocked & clueless that they were working on a care contract for me but they assured me they'd send me the contract in the mail for review. A week and a half later, I finally got that contract....and it didn't have a THING in it that we had discussed! Honestly, it looked like they had just gone online, Googled 'care contracts', pasted Mom's & my names into it & printed it off! Needless to say, I never signed & returned that contract......and I never consulted that lawyer again!!

I can't remember what site I used, but there are websites out there that give lawyers "grades" just like those doctor grading sites. Within the sites, you can customize the search to include just those lawyers who do elder law/Medicaid planning. I wasn't at all surprised that the original lawyer received only a 6 out of 10 on her profile. I live very rural so I ended up having to choose a lawyer 3 hours from me but he scored an 8.4 out of 10 and has been an absolute Godsend! I couldn't be more pleased with him. Caregiving is stressful enough on it's own & it's been a real blessing to know the legal matters are being handled!

I believe I have found the right attorney. I will keep everyone informed on the process and what take place. I believe it will help many on here.

I should clarify that to reflect that I am not an attorney, and that "our firm" did not mean a firm with which I was affiliated but rather the firm we chose to handle our estate planning needs.

Randall, like FF, our firm has multiple (10) attorneys in its Estate Planning Practice Group, including: Basic estate planning, advanced estate planning, estate administration, living, irrevocable and charitable trusts, elder law, and charitable giving.

I also worked for them before hiring them, so I knew they were reputable as I saw it first hand as an employee.

1 2 3 4