How do they live in such misery?

My mother headed off to bed early this evening. She said she wasn't feeling well, and indeed she did look miserable. To be honest, she hasn't felt good and has been miserable every minute of every day since I've been here and probably before. I've been here almost five years. I wonder how she keeps going on, feeling so miserable. And to be honest again, living with her has been very, very hard. I must have been terrible in a past life to have earned this.

18

Answers

Well, back from the doctor. There were a few WBCs, but no other sign of a UTI. The doctor started her on Levaquin just in case an infection was coming on. I took advantage of her going by the pharmacy with me and got our flu shots. Got home and the morning was gone. Where does time go. I had to go to the grocery store, so treated myself to an Italian cream cake -- one of those cake bars. Yum. Now I think I can face the rest of the day.

Wishing you all the best Jesse :) ((((hugs)))) maybe they can give her a new anti depressant to try?? caregiving is hard enough without being around a sad depressed person all the time, it is CONTAGIOUS!!

Oo. Hope UC manages to find something treatable and she feels better. Let us know it goes?

Well, Mom and I will be off to urgent care this morning. She probably has a UTI. She gets them sometimes. She got up really early this morning and put a load of clothes on to wash. I commented that she must feel good, and she told me no, that she felt terrible. At least this time I think there is a reason.

CM, I worrry. If I've been listening to it so much for years now, will I soon get all depressed and joyless? Oh, wait! I think I'm already getting that way. It can sure weigh a person down living with Sad Sack.

Just a hug, Jessie.

I used to laugh with my friends about how our teenagers played Radiohead the whole time and then wondered why they were depressed. Waily waily life is terrible owww I'm so miserable oooooeeeowwwwww. Now I just wonder what on earth my mother can have been listening to in her impressionable years...

I have said the same thing over and over! I was just wondering today how I could bring some laughter and joy back into this home with so much conflict going on....If you figure it out please tell me how????? It is sad for every one to be so sad!

Please consider taking Mom to a senior center or day program where she can have the company of men and women (and give you a break). My cognitively impaired husband really enjoys the day program he now attends. It affects his mood in a positive way for hours before and after the time he spends there. Your local Agency on Aging may be able to help.

Oh Jessie,your wonderful, there is more to karma than being bad in a past life. You are being tested for greatness in a future life. You are passing with flying colors. Can you see your caregiving as a gift of love, that enhances and uplifts your life? Gratitude can change your attitude, and infect your mother, just as her bad mood is affecting you. I believe Buddha teaches selfless love as the highest attainment. You are there living it every day. You should start thinking what you want to be in the next life, because your actions in taking care of your Mom so devotedly and lovingly pretty much quarantees it.

((((((JessieBelle)))))

Jessie, I don't believe that at this point in time there is any reason for our moms to be told "now you going to see a geriatric psychiatrist". Back in the day, psychiatrists WERE who crazy people went to see, except now, we've figured out that they've got some tricks up their sleeves that the rest of us can benefit from. You could also say that it's a doctor for her sleeping problems or for her nervousness, if she insists. I can't tell you what a difference my mom being on the correct combination and dosage of these meds has been. Yes, she still gets scared when she's in the hospital and still worries that they've missed something important, but it's not the all day everyday dread that it used to be.