How do I make a live-in caregiver move out?

I have had a live-in caregiver for 18 months. She recently start stealing from me, taking stuff and pawning it. The job came with room and board. To make her move out, do I have to evict her, or can I just change the locks and hope she goes away? She has always been good with my wife and I hate to lose her, but I can't trust her any longer.

15

Answers

I think you just answered ur own question. She confessed. I would think the next thing you'd say is thank you for confessing but I can't keep you on. Also, the pawn shop received stolen goods. Their loss. I would file a police report for ur protection. A lawyer may be good. Maybe u can deduct the cost from her last check. Make a deal that you won't press charges if she leaves quietly with no references. Get everything in writing.

One thing to consider, if you don't contact the police she will have a clean record when she applies to work for the next person.

Rainmom's advice still holds true:
Hopefully, you have actual evidence of her stealing. This may be your best way around the situation. If you have proof then you can file a police report and she would be arrested. Then - you would be able to apply for a restraining order- keeping her away from your wife, your property and you.

I'd tell her yes, I will do that and I will deduct $78 from your paycheck and I want you to leave.

The police would like to hear that story. A pawn shop cannot receive stolen property.

What is the thief going to do with your belongings when you leave to the pawn shop?
Sounds like a drug addict's sad sob story, imo.
It is not exactly repentance if you have to pay. Maybe only an emotional con in order to stick around?

You have kept her working there?  You hate to lose her?
A simple call to 911 would have done it.

So sorry for you and your family.

What have you been paying her anyway?  Maybe it is not enough?

Anyway, don't think that you really need advice anymore.

This is the OP. My proof that the caregiver has been stealing is that today she confessed to me, gave me the pawn tickets, and asked if I would go redeem my own stuff from the pawn shop. I may do it, because paying $78 to get my lawnmower back is way cheaper than buying a new one.

Proving that she stole is going to be difficult in a court, beyond a reasonable doubt. Had this happen to me. I filed charges against caregiver. She was arrested and let go until court case where she lied on stand and got away with it without a conviction. This was even though I testified that I physically saw her taking my Mum's pain medications, healthcare supplies, etc.

The easy way out would be to tell her you are placing your wife in a facility, etc. and will no longer need her services without letting on that you know she is stealing from you. Tell her you will provide a hotel room if she needs one for two weeks to facilitate her discharge. In the mean time lock everything up and keep an eye on things while she is in the home.

The difficult way...call the cops, make sure they are there , then tell her you know she is stealing from you and that you are filing charges against her and tell her to pack her bags, and let the cops to escort her out. then follow through with the charges.

Whatever you do, make sure there is another person in the house at all times while she is there, other than yourself as a witness. The cookie ones can come up with all sorts of charges against you and create real mayhem, so safeguard yourself and your wife.
I am sorry you have had to go through this. It is a terrible violation of trust. I felt terrible when it happened to my Mum and I. The caregiver was very nice and treated my Mum very well, but she started stealing after being with us for 2 months. Thankfully, she was not live-in.

andrewr, you need to be 100% sure that the in-live caregiver had been stealing. I noticed on your profile that your wife has Alzheimer's/Dementia, and it is not unusual for a patient to give away things to caregivers, relatives, and friends.

Just curious, how did you know the caregiver was pawning the items? I doubt she was telling you that.

This is the OP. I was paying her in addition to room and board. I do plan on talking to an attorney. I have put locks on the inside doors of rooms she doesn't need to go into. This was a private placement. I understand that if she came from an agency I could just fire her and let her take her things.

Lie and say your niece is coming to live with you and she will be doing her job. Give her two weeks notice and pay her 2 weeks more pay. Also, offer to pay for a hotel for 2 weeks. Contact her employer (if she works through an agency) and explain your niece will be coming and she will loose her job. Change the locks immediately.
Personally, I don't think she's going to go through the whole effort of filing against you when she's guilty of stealing from you and that's hanging over her head.