My mom is a bad Type 1 diabetic, she has very limited mobility, not able to perform any household chores anymore and is incontinent of urine. She lives with us and we feel she is ready to go to a facility. I forgot to mention she does have dementia.

I have not gone through this yet (dad still lives at home with care coming in) but I believe in my area they do an assessment that determines what level of care you need. I was instructed last year that when it becomes 'time' to select a facility, I should choose one that has both assisted living and memory care to make the move from assisted to memory care easier on him. When I did my initial research, however, I found that placing someone with diabetes, like my dad, can be difficult. Some of the locations I talked to would not take diabetic patients.
Reply to Babs75

If she uses medications with needles or specialized pumps for her diabetes and she cannot self manage, then she may have to skip the AL. Those places may not have registered nurses and only have LPNs who are limited in scope of practice by each state. You just have to call around to one or two places to get that answer.

Good evening, Angie

One important skill needed to qualify for assisted living in my area is the ability to “transfer”. I had to have someone explain this to me. A resident could be in a wheelchair but is able to stand with some help and pivot in order to sit on toilet or get in bed. When we first started looking into Assisted Living for my parents, my father was already ineligible because he had to be hoisted in and out of bed with a Hoyer lift. My mother was fast needing a two person assist for the same skills.

Based on your description, it sounds like your mother is at nursing home level. A doctor or nurse can do a needs assessment and give you more information.
Reply to Treeartist

In all honesty, she sounds like she is beyond Assisted Living and needs to be in Skilled Nursing. It’s easier to do it this way than move her to AL for a few months and then have to uproot her again. That’s very upsetting for people with dementia.