How do I help Mom remember what day of the week it is?

One hour she knows what day it is, but in the next hour she thinks its another day.

16

Answers

Dear ALL:
If you can, go see in my profile "What is on my mind". That is my answer for mom on the "what day is today" to the n degree question.
M88

i happen to be one of the people that cannot stand the constant question........................going to amazon right now!!!!!!!!!!
my sanity is at risk!
M88

Thanks for the information about a Day Clock - I had never heard of one before. My mom constantly wants to know what day it is - she has a calendar on the fridge but if she doesn't remember to put an X through the day before going to bed she always thinks it is the same day. I am very patient with her but some people can't stand the constant question so I think I will look into getting her a Day Clock.

I agree momsgotdementia. Time is not something they may be able to process or retain after a certain point.

I would be careful allowing a person who cannot keep up with time administer their own meds. I would discuss that with their doctor, explain what is happening and get the doctor's input.

Daycloxusa is where I purchased my dad's clock. It is very simple and it is one of the best things I've done to help him. It was expensive but as soulfulgirl29 said, it is "worth it's weight in gold" to keep him from overdosing on his medications.

I find it is easier to accept the fact they don't know what day it is. As frustrating as it is, some days they may know the day (year, month, season etc) and some days they may not know. Even with date and time gadget on the wall they may not remember to look at the clock and if they do look at the clock they may not know or remember 5 minutes after they look at it. My mom has a clock with the date , time, day, in a large digital format but she still has no idea what date or time it is. Keep in mind my mom has early onset advanced dementia she is 68 and has 15 hours of care per day.

As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I got Dad a "Day clock" and he is tickled pink with it :)

With my Dad, every day is Groundhog Day as it is always the same old routine. And Dad will doze off in his recliner and awaken not knowing if he had dozed off for a few minutes or slept in his recliner overnight.

My mom has no short-term memory, but doesn't have Alzheimers. So she's very stable at 96. I got her a clock (on Amazon also) that has the time, date, the day, and the temperature.

The temperature part has been a big thing because she consistently has her place waaaay too hot, in summer and winter. So I can look at it and say, "Mom, it's 85 in here, let's turn down your heat or open the window or turn up the A/C." It's been a wonderful addition for both of us. And she's commented many, many times on how it's helped her to be able to know what day it is. It was less than $20. I have it sitting right next to her chair on her side table.

I did find, once my mom had that simple clock, she never forgot to look at it, even if it was every hour, or 10 times a day.

I actually found the perfect clock, all it says in big letters, "Its now Sunday morning."
"Its now Sunday afternoon,"
"Its now sunday night, " My mother repeated the clock to me all the time, and felt so proud. It was so simple no date just so simple, it gave my mother back a feeling of control. Found it at amazon, it is a little pricie, but worth its weight in gold for how much it helped and gave back to my mother.