My Mom is the spouse of a deceased 100% disable WWII vet. She is totally disabled. How do I get reimbursement for an aide?

How do i get more info?
Thanks
Susan

20

Answers

*Following this comment thread*

I was given information for Vet Assist Program. I contacted them and they helped me collect all the information I need to get assistance from the VA. They will take care of the cost of home care until your benefits are started. It was so much easier then dealing with the VA yourself.

Donna 1944,
Is her 2nd husband deceased? Was it divorce or death from her 1st husband? My mother was married and divorced and remarried her 2nd husband ( my father who was a WWII vet) and when he passed they really pushed for info on husband #1 even though she not only divorced him but had marriage annulled. They were trying to get her the highest benefits. Im not an expert by any means but I hope you look into it a little further. Good luck! Red tape is the worst.

To the OP, you ask "How do I get reimbursement for an aide?" and I just want to make sure you (and others down the the line reading this) understand --you yourself do not get reimbursement. It goes to your mom directly.

My mom remarried to a non vet and so can't draw off my dad who died in 1988.
What a shock it was to attend a meeting and being told " it doesn't matter and then when I contacted VA they cut me off when I said she remarried. He is now deceased and she isnt getting enough SS to pay rent. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. they don't tell them that before they need it, (don't remarry to a non-veteran). At least we would have known she couldn't qualify.
As has been said before, the gov will pull every trick in the book to keep you from getting it. So many technicallitys. Has to be done just right. Good luck!

It has been 5 1/2 years since we did this so memory is a little rusty on it. I'm in the Dallas area and this wasn't the only law firm to do this. We might have filled out some of the paper work but the firm put all of it together and submitted it (walked us through it). "IF" our claim was not accepted then we owed them nothing but as it did work out for us we paid the fee. The only advice they gave us was what steps we needed to take in order to receive the benefits, i.e. financial, as you can only have so much money to receive benefits as stated in other replies. They also walked us through what to do with the rest of the money as to receive benefits but keep it where your loved one can get to it if needed (Trust). The facility that my mom is in gave us the name of several Veteran's firms. And No, they were not in "cahoots" with them. The one we went with we felt very comfortable with (and checked out thoroughly) but do be careful before giving any money to someone before you check them out. Hope this cleared up my previous post/answer.

There are keywords in filling this paperwork out. Housebound is a qualifying condition for receiving care. I went to a local VA office, not the one in Atlanta, where I live, but in Dalton Ga, which is much smaller. They helped me. If your mom is unable to leave her home without assistance, unable to purchase her groceries, take care of her daily needs, then she should qualify for an attendant. You will have to have someone fill out papers to verify that they have been filling this position for your mom. That's what I did and it was approved. Income and assets are a big deal too. The survivor can own her home, but have little savings and small income. I'm not sure how much is considered since we did this some years back.

I am glad that you got the payments started so quickly for your mother. It is my understanding that no one is allowed to charge a fee to fill out the paperwork needed to apply for the benefit. I have been told this by more than one person in a position to know. Perhaps that attny also gave you advice on other matters that he charged you for, if not he should be reported.

My dad is still living but my mom is receiving veterans benefits. She is in dementia/alz. facility. We went with an attny that ONLY did veterans benefits. Cost quite a bit but it was worth it. They did everything for us. Filled out all paperwork and we started receiving the checks within about 3 to 4 mos. but they retro-activated it to the date we applied. It was very much worth the $1800 we paid them. As others have said though....you can go to the veterans administration. As it is my understanding.....the veteran had to have seen combat at least one day in order to receive benefits. Here is a link to VA: http://www.va.gov/opa/persona/dependent_survivor.asp. I would also call your local Bar Assoc. to see who does only veterans/spouse benefits. Good Luck and God Bless.

Dad's illness was heart disease due to malnutrition suffered as a POW .