My dad has stage four brain cancer. He is a veteran and does receive benefits. I've been taking care of him since he got sick. I never wanted to be paid for taking care of my dad, because I felt like I just owed it to him. Currently right now I am financially struggling. I don't have a job, because my job is taking care of dad. And I am looking into trying to get paid for it, but I don't know where to start!! Help!?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
So sorry to hear about your Dad. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to look for a full-time job.

Double check with the Veteran's Administration to see if they have such a program or other benefits. Also check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for an Aide to come to the house for a couple of hours. Caregiver burnout comes quickly, sad to say in a matter of months for some. Check to see if your Dad could qualify for Hospices.

Check to see if your parent could qualify for Medicaid…. each State has different income/eligibility requirements the parent must meet. If your State has such a program to pay a grown child to care for a parent, you might feel your parent needs 12 hours of care, the program might decide only 5 hours. And you may need to take some health care courses to qualify. Plus there is a question as to if the State will pay a relative if he/she lives full-time with the parent.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter