How do I get my husband to take a shower?

23

Answers

1 2 3
Hope72,
I feel you and my prayers are with you. My mother has been diagnosed with alzheimer/dementia, and she also is very stubborn. I wish my mom would let me help her bath, she refuses to bathe at all, the smell is aweful most times, I try to get the sheets out daily and all the other pee pee clothes, daily, along with empting her toilet. My 84 year old mom had a stroke 12 years ago and I think she is afraid to get into bath and when she does she uses her walker, which is very dangerous, I have no control, its over whelming. I've been living with her for 5 years.
Hope72 sorry to say but I think your loved one needs to be in a nursing home just like my mom. Its time for you Hope72 to relax and smell the flowers

Also 4 the bath issue, when out of the shower, l pat ma dry, then put cream all over her! That seems to help her skin! At bedtime l spray a lavender sent on her pillows, and turn on her CD of Vince Gill...her favorite! Then she is in heaven! I go try to keep her music going till she is asleep!:) seems to work most times Hope this helps those of you that still have bath issues.

All day long, while l'm working in the house or out, the most common question is are you ready for a shower! If not today, it will be sometime tomorrow! I. Ever give up, it's works for me, ALWAYS!:)

Cloud: Good luck with the tub mat idea,.though.

Cloud: I understand what bathmats are for. Just saying it's not going to make him want to bathe any faster.

Those towels are used in hospitals to give bedbound patients baths. Warmed in the microwave and used while warm really does buy you a few days. Not as good as a real shower, but better than lying in dirty clothes. Also, there is something in them that is especially good for cleaning dry fecal matter off tender skin. They were a godsend. Also, there is a liquid of the same type of soap/lotion that you can mix up in a large bowl of hot water--use plenty of washcloths and you get the same effect, lots cheaper. My FIL would do a week in the same pants if he could. I forced him to change his underwear daily. He wore, believe it or not, thong type men's "briefs"..to the day he died. Refused to wear tidy-whiteys, as they're called and this caused more than one embarrassing scene when away from home. That's one battle I just gave up on---loved his animal print thongs. (Don't even try to wrap your brain around it).

Well I think we are getting to this point - I did see that there is a water less bath lotion that cleans without them getting into the shower. Below is one type:
Comfort-Cleansing-Ultra-Thick-Disposable-Washcloths
My father will actually sleep in his clothes, sometimes.

You left a lot of information out, moanddo. If there isn't anything physically wrong with your husband other than just lazy and doesn't want to bother with it, I would suggest telling him how you feel and what you want. Sometimes, men don't think they smell funny or sweaty but if he does, tell him and explain that you shower because you are around him and you don't want to smell bad and he should do the same. Most men, after working all day, should shower and brush their teeth before going to bed each night and women should do the same. A quick rinse off in the AM is all that is needed unless last night included sex then you may need a full shower as well. I personally, wouldn't go to the same bed as one who didn't shower. The sheets will be sweaty and smelly and over time, you can't get the discoloration out. If he is ill or has some disease that prevents him from showering, you need to talk with his doctor about using the bath cloths that you microwave. They are great and he can do it by himself sitting in a chair. If you provide more information about him and his condition, people who are trying to help you can better answer the questions. Good luck in trying to get him to the water!!

I don't think the bathtub mat is going to make a difference to his already ill mind. It's not like he's going to have an awakening to think "oh, I can't wait to sit on that bathmat."

I suppose you have to pick your battles, but as the disease progresses, you can't rely on the patient to make sound decisions about their care.

My cousin, who has Vascular and AD, had a band aid on her toe that she resisted taking off. There was no injury or reason for it. It was just creating a dangerous area that created a barrier to air. Fungus had set in. I had to insist it come off. Some things are not negotiable. I'm not sure how imperative it is for a man to shower, but I would think that the longer you wait, the more difficult it might be to get on a schedule later on.

1 2 3