How do I find SAFE, affordable housing for my mother who lives in Northern Ohio (Lorain/Erie County, city of Vermilion)?

My mother is low income, only having Social Security, and is age 63. She is on SNAP. She lives alone and independently, but my sister lives in the same town and helps as much as she can, (I live in a different state), but it is too much care for my sister to provide (in the form of cash usually to my mother). Mom does not make enough money to support her basic needs, such as transportation costs for her car and other basic needs. Her apartment is awful and NOT safe (slashed tires, threatening neighbor) - I need to get her into a more safe and clean environment. Please give me any advice you may have for this particular area in Ohio. Thank you.

4

Answers

Here the book.is called the Blue Book. It is printed via a grant from the feds. Distributed by the Area Agency on Aging.
Reply to gladimhere
kobzarm Aug 7, 2018
Thank you!
(0)
When my mom was in the hospital, the social worker gave me a book with all facilities in Northeastern Ohio in it. You could ask at the local senior center if they might have one. Apartments were also listed.
kobzarm Jul 26, 2018
Do you have the name of the booklet? Maybe I can find it online.
(0)
Check with her Area Agency on Aging to see what is available. Also check with Senior Services in the county and Metropolitan Housing in her town. In most Ohio counties, all three agencies have low income housing and other programs for seniors.
Reply to anonymous439773

Call the Area Agency on Aging they will be able to direct you to the appropriate agencies.
Reply to gladimhere