How do I decrease the amount of "junk" mail my mom gets? She has a tendancy to donate to every cause that arrives in her mailbox.

21

Answers

1 2 3
The Post Office will not return junk mail to sender. It goes in the trash. This goes for the cards and gifts that charities send out.

Some of us get the "Red Plum" junk mail. I think that's the name of it. Recently I found out that you opt out by contacting them. That helps with some junk mail. Red Plum.com.
Reply to Llamalover47

Friendly, are you in a position to get to your mother's mailbox before she does? There seems to be a central post office mechanism for stopping all third class mail - now called marketing mail - from arriving in the first place for either 5 years or permanently. Go to the Federal Trade Commission's page about "Stopping Unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls, and Email" and read up on how to do it. And if you have any luck using it, please report back!
Reply to NYDaughterInLaw

I would write "deceased" on envelope and instructions to return to sender. Don't open it and post office will return it
Reply to Mac124

As a 24/7 caregiver for my husband this junk mail issue has been a monstrous problem. This s really is not an answer, but a sharing of my experience. I tried having the post office place a hold on our mail, but the postal delivery person saw our car in the driveway and thought we "ww were back from vacation" and came to the door to deliver mail. So much for that idea. The constant arguing ove his "right" to purchase everything, every offer, every sweepstakes, buying magazine subscriptions and those offers that are also included-convinced that if he didn't, he would not "win". On PCH's behalf, I was able to call them, and they agreed to not accept any orders from him, and they have kept their word. He called me names for not allowing him to donate to every charity. This was horrible. He wanted to refinance our home with every loan offer, constantly challenging me as to what our mortgage information is. The last time I allowed him to have a credit card in his wallet, he spent the last $150 in our bank account on an erectile dysfunction pill. I was able to get our money back but proceeded to substitute his credit cards with other cards that he cannot buy things with. I give him a little cash ( a five and five ones), and he keeps the money we get from cans and bottles we take to recycling. He always wanted to use those phony checks and it went on and on and on. I now find ways to get to the mail first, because we live in a community that has mailbox groups. I quickly sort through and keep anything addressed to him that looks "benign" so that he does get mail now and then. It is not an easy fix but it has reduced our arguments-and yes I tried all of the tools to redirect, to "go along", but none of the tools worked with him.
Reply to She1934

I did a change of address online with the USPS.

I listed my address as Mom’s new  address.
Reply to lizzywho61

You can go to consumer.ftc.gov, they have information and links to stop junk mail & phone calls.
Reply to mistyanne7

We have found that asking to be taken off a mailing list is usually a waste of time. They ‘forget’. I would get a mail redirect (or a PO Box in your Mum’s name for six months, if you don’t want to forge anything, but keep the keys). Return the junk marked ‘gone away, no forwarding address’ - that usually works after about three returns. If your mother responds to telephone begging calls, things get harder. There was a long string a while ago about cancelling credit cards, removing cheque books etc.
Good Luck!
Reply to MargaretMcKen

Friendly: My late mother was the same way. I put a stop to her donating her last dollar when I moved in. Have your mother's mail sent to you. End.
Reply to Llamalover47

I would sign onto Catalogue Choice which allows you to cancel all kinds of magazines and solicitations. Every time I get a catalogue or credit card offer or other similar mailing, I use them to notify the company. That stops almost everything. Also going on the company web site and requesting that the mailings stop may do the trick.

One problem is that some of the organizations, especially charitable, do not do their own mailings, and it is cheaper for the hired solicitor to mail things than edit the list. The worst one I ever encountered was Daily Prayer.
Reply to MaryLouLou

1 2 3