How do I decide what percentage of money in brother's supplemental needs trust to invest?

I am afraid of losing the money, even if I do conservative investments. But bank account hardly gives you any interest. I'm concerned that one day he might lose SSI, food stamps, Medicaid. It's not highly likely, but just in case something happens.

5

Answers

So, hadfuff, are YOU in touch with his social worker or case manager, to make sure that he doesn't miss scheduled reviews?

Are you talking about a Special Needs Trust? I am not sure if you can deduct money for investment purposes. You should read the trust because you have limits to how you can spend it. If in doubt, talk to the lawyer who drew it up.

He could miss a scheduled review date at social security to determine if he still qualified for benefits. The government might restrict who can get benefits or cut people off just to try to save money.
Reply to Hadnuff

Also, Barbara, a good use of some of these funds might be a "fee for service" financial advisor--that means you pay a fee up front for advice about how to invest.

You DON'T want an advisor who says "oh, my service is free". That means that they are going to try to sell you a product that produces a big commission for THEM. You want a fiduciary, someone who is bound and sworn to have the trust's benefit as their only interest.

Why do you think that your brother might lose his benefits?

Read Jane Bryant Quinn's "How to Make your Money Last".

You can open an investment account through Vanguard and invest in low cost index funds.