How do I apply for Medicaid for my Mother (94)?

She lives with us. I need to get her in a daycare setting as I have to go back to work. She gets less than 1,000.00 a month on social security. I take care of her 24/7. She is reasonably healthy, but gets forgetful. Our financial situation changed and I need to help my husband finacially. My mom can't cook for herself or be trusted taking her meds unsupervised. An adult daycare setting would be perfect. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. My sister gave me a break but passed away two years ago so I am it alone. It does take its toll especially when she wakes you up 5 am just to talk.

19

Answers

Make sure she has no more than $2,000 in her account and assets -- home and car is exempt. You can spend down the money on the HOME improvement, pre-paid funeral, or a new car in her name.

I wish my hub's aunt and uncle would go ahead and cash out their IRA and pre-pay their funerals, like my parents did, for lots of reasons, but one is that that counts then as an expenses off their income, which would help them to qualify for some assistance, haven't been able to quite figure out why they haven't been willing to do it, but not quite sure if their giving away is still within the last 5 yrs. either, possibly, including signing away their land. Agency on Aging just called and have been supposed to have called back but they haven't, at least not me.

If you mom is poor you should have no problems getting her on Medicaid. None whatsoever.

If she has been declining, try to get her doctor to put her on Hospice. It may also require you put her on "Do Not Resuscitate" status. If you have to ever hospitalize her -- and eventually you will for something especially at that age--a doctor can order all of these things in the hospital. You won't even have to bother with Medicaid.

Thank you all for your advice. I called the local Office of the Aging and they are sending me paperwork for medicaid. To get her in the local adult day care near our home they said we would need medicaid otherwise it would be very expensive. Its a nursing home with an excellent reputation that offers this program. My mom at 94 loves to talk to people. She is very friendly.She doesn't like to be left alone so I could never think of leaving her home while I work. Its awesome not to think I am alone in this situation. Thank you everyone for taking the time to give suggestions. They are all very appreciated.

I applied for Medicaid for my mom about 3 years ago. It took most of the summer asking for paperwork and then waiting for it, but I was able to get lots of the information on the phone with their bank, etc. The house your mom lives in is exempt until it is sold, as is the primary vehicle. My parents had to cash out an annuity and use if for pre-paid funeral expenses, but the funeral home director was very helpful in making sure that the paperwork was done correctly. The form did ask if my parents had given away anything of value over the past 5 years, but I just had to check no. We may have been lucky in that my parents didn't own anything of value in the first place! Yes, the agency on aging is a good resource and I got the e-mail of my mom's DHS case worker as soon as she was assigned one. Good luck!

126Cher, Oh I get it. I know the mixed feelings about the one who is gone. I have them too. What a shame we women let these things happen to ourselves.

Hi Nolagal, thanks for responding. What you explained is absolutely correct when it comes to Social Security. That I am not up-set over. She is now getting his Social Security check and not her own anymore because hers was lower than his. That is when the 10+comes into play with wives and ex-wives. Dad's pension with his company he signed away from her in 1987 when he retired. I remember them having a big fight over it when it happened. I remember him yelling at her to sign a form saying that she agreed to it which she finally signed in duress. I remember telling her not to sign but she did anyway to keep the peace. If she did not sign she would have the pension today. He would have gotten less money since 1987 if she did not sign. I have been worried about that since 1987. Well now the shit hits the fan so to speak.
Yes, ThereisNoTry you are also correct about not leaving survival benefits you get a lot more than leaving them. They were married for 64 years. My husband has left survival benefits to me and even thu my pension is very small I will leave it to him. Dad has done this kind of stuff to Mom for 64 years. That is why I am up set. I feel sorry he died the way he did but he left a mess behind.

While Medicaid is a federal program it is administered by states which interpret its provisions. As a result every state has a little different results. If you want answers visit with an elder law attorney in your state. The process can be complicated and done incorrectly resulting in a denial or delay in benefits. You may want to start with lawyerswithpurpose

YES - when you start distribution you define whether you want the pension to continue on to your dependents or to stop when you pass. You get a lot more with the former type of distribution.