How can we get Mom with dementia to wear her hearing aids?

The nurses put them in and she takes them out and hides them. We've completely lost one. She needs them desperately. Implants still have a device that goes behind the ear, so that's not any better.

26

Answers

1 2 3
That is interesting, the comment up above about severe dementia resulting in no need for hearing aids. My mother's hearing was fine, but she was unable to follow a conversation or respond to questions! Ask her 'what did you eat for lunch today?' and she would go off on a tangent about something totally unrelated. She did talk coherently, but it was just talking, it made no sense. I realize now it was the dementia doing this. Poor mom. At least she seemed happy.

Suggestions for Pocket Talker is worth the amazon $140. Bought best hearing aid but too many problems for dad and aids. They both now use the pocket talker. Bought new tees with pockets. Does have clip for sleeves and belt. Some aids pick up the PT and talk into the speaker (large foam ball). Does require battery changes. Good luck.

You really can't keep control of it. My mom lost her first set I don't think it was any other resident it was just my mom putting them somewhere, this time probably in a ball of tissues...
Wish I would have known about those microphones but I needed them a decade or so ago.
You can augment her insurance coverage to include replacements at a cheaper rate. We were entitled to one free replacement the first time she lost them and after that she just didn't want them anymore. We spoke directly or I'd write questions & it worked out. It all requires patience.

The psychiatrist at our hospital told us nurses that patients with more severe dementia often have no use for hearing aids because the hearing aid no longer helps them hear better.
This is because you must be able to concentrate enough to understand & make since out of the sounds you are hearing, in order to actually "hear" what is said!
In other words, the hearing aid would help her hear loud bangs.... to scare her... however, it might not help her hear / realize someone is talking to her.

If the lady won't wear them, hides them or loses them, give it a rest. It's not happening.

I took care of someone who "lost" two full sets of temporary teeth - and they cost a fortune. I said NO to a replacement for the third time. These people will keep losing things and YOU will keep PAYING FOR REPLACEMENTS. I say if they lose them, then you do NOT replace them.

Mother got a very expensive hi tech advertised as a breakthrough, etc. She liked it when she could hear better--- she could keep them in just a few minutes. We tried them out with a money back guarantee. We got our money back as she didn't wear them. I talk close to her ear, clearly and exaggerate lip movements. She hears and responds very well. Do whatever you have to to communicate. Write things out. Mom likes notes written with a big magic marker. Make it a game. She can talk on the cell phone to others when I put the speaker on. That way I can repeat what she misses. Thank you for bringing this topic up. We will try the amplifiers. It is important for us to keep out loved ones minds stimulated.

Two words. You can't.

I don't have dementia (yet, anyway) and have worn hearing aids for 15 years--but still don't like them and never wear unless I am dealing with other people.

My mom refuses to wear her hearing aids because of the buzzing she hears. My brother told me I speak to fast for her. It helped but she still can't hear so I bought a megaphone to amplify my voice that works. On a visit my nephew had brought his headphones from the firing range. They really work. I even went up stairs and called her name she heard me. They are very inexpensive compared to hearing aids. Not sure if any long term affects. I've heard the non use of hearing aids will affect the progression of dementia. She does not like or use computers otherwise I would use that to communicate.

1 2 3