How can sisters be so uncaring?

21

Answers

1 2 3
Exactly, Sheron, you won't have regrets with all the love and care you've given your mother.

Sheron, this isn't an excuse for your siblings, but perhaps an explanation. They may not be as mentally and emotionally strong as you are and may not be able to cope with your mother's medical issues.

My sister developed a "dropped foot" as her cancer metastasized. It was painfully agonizing to see her struggle to walk, especially since she had been a runner and taught exercise classes to seniors.

But she needed help, and that was more important than the anguish I felt, and I'm not writing this for self gratification or praise. It just needed to be done; she needed support.

And on that topic, there might be a brace that your mother could get. My sister got one, but it was hard to wear on her dropped foot.There was an emotional stigma as well. In the short and long run, it wasn't any help. But I thought you ought to be aware of the possibility.

One thought you might bear in mind was something a friend told me. You're alone in your caregiving, but you're providing support to your mother at perhaps the most crucial time of her life. And your siblings are absent when she needs them. They might regret that for the rest of their lives.

Being called the "angel daughter" just made my year. Thank you so much. It's funny how strangers can make someone feel so much better about their situation as a major caregiver. No one in my family would ever come close to saying or communicating that to me. You must have been told to say that from my late dad who I helped take of also before he passed away in January of 2013. Thank you so much! The angels and God work in mysterious ways. :) Again thank-you for your kind words... :) PS. I used to love watching mash :)

Sheron, I just called you what you are. You must have gotten it from your mom. I only hope that if and when I should ever need anything like what your mom needs, my own daughter will step up for me. Be well, dear one, I send you wishes for some peace, too.

Hi Hugemom,I'm so sorry for how your family is treating you. Thank you for calling me an "angel daughter". That means so much since I don't have the family that does. That is say anything nice to me about taking care of my mom.

Sheron, your posts break my heart. We read soooo many posts from people who say their parents are mean and nasty and abusive. It breaks my heart because I am the same as your mom. I try to do nice things for people and seem to get it thrown in my face too, and it hurts. I had an incident with my son about 6 weeks ago that still brings tears to my eyes. I adore(d) my son previous to this and what he and his wife did to me was like a surprise “ice bucket challenge”. He even got my husband involved against me.

Don’t think your mom doesn’t realize any of this or that she isn’t very hurt by it. That’s what makes me the saddest. I’m glad at least she has you. I send her many wishes for recovery and lots of years with you, her angel daughter. For the rest of them, as Klinger once said on MASH, may the fleas of ten-thousand camels infest their armpits. Xxoo

Me, I would not help my sister. You don't say if you work but if you do, I think that and being there for Mom is important. You have good excuse for not helping sister. She doesn't work and has children old enough to care for themselves and I would tell her that.

Thank you JessieBelle and Blannie for responding. I feel I am not alone. :)

Thank you for giving me this forum to vent. It is a whole much better than venting any of this on my facebook page which has hundreds of people including those that I have for business purposes. (I own my own small business).

My older sister is only 3 years older than me.

1 2 3